Chapter 1: Nothing but Music

Začít od začátku

"I really did dig that beat but next time, make it a 3-part overdub. Like this." I say before I proceed to show James the way that I want the drums to be played on this single. This is the first song to be on the album. "You got it?" I ask James as I get up from the seat behind the drums. James nods as he sits back down in the seat. "Y'all do that while I go to the restroom. I will be right back." I say as I exit the big, instrument filled studio. I walk to the bathroom, do my business and leave.

As I'm walking back to the studio, I hear a hypnotic and funky beat. After about 30 seconds of the amazing beat, I hear a dreamy falsetto. As I'm walking down the hall, the music starts to grow louder and louder. I start to realize that the music is coming from studio four, which is the studio right across from mine. After a while, I find my self listening to the mystery person record this amazing song. When the song came to an end, I wanted to know who is the face behind that voice. Who are the musicians behind that backing band? Being that I'm not a very shy person but more outgoing and friendly, I boldly knock on the door. I could faintly hear heels clicking as the person walks towards the door. When the door opens, I see a lightskin guy with hypnotic eyes, a massive Afro, wearing a black button up shirt(that isn't buttoned all the way, might I add), black pants, and matching heels.

"Yes?" The guy says sounding quite irritated that I interrupted whatever it was that he was doing

"Yes?" The guy says sounding quite irritated that I interrupted whatever it was that he was doing. Ignoring his attitude, I continue on with my compliment.

"I was just coming over to say that I can hear the song that was just playing and it is really good. I didn't mean to bother you or anything and I'm sorry if I did." I say with an apologetic tone.

"You work here or something?" He asks.

"No. My band and I rehearse over there in studio six." I say as I point to the studio six door. "My name is Patrice Rushen." I say while sticking my hand out.

"Prince." He says simply as he firmly shakes my hand. "Your band is pretty good too. And I heard some of your last albums. You are pretty big in the jazz genre, right?" He questions with a slight smile.

I shrug my shoulders slightly with a smirk. "I guess a little bit."

"I couldn't recognize you because of the braids. I'm used to seeing your huge Afro from your album covers." He says. We both laugh slightly before I end the conversation.

"I have to go back to my band but it was nice meeting you. Oh, and if you ever want to work on some music or just want to have a jam session one day, here's my card." I say while handing him one of my cards from my blue, denim back pocket. He takes it and analyzes it.

"I will take you up on that offer. Thanks." He says with a smile. I smile back and walk towards my studio.

As cute as he was, a man is not one of my priorities at the moment. It's my music that is. My friends always say "Your 23 and single. What are you so busy doing that you can't get a man?" I always answer by saying 'nothing but music'.