THE MOON

한 번쯤은 돌아와
지친 날 안아줄래요
그대 없이는 도저히 견뎌낼 수가 없어
하루가 너무 길어요

-

CAN YOU COME BACK ONCE
AND HOLD ME WHO'S TIRED
I CAN'T STAND ANYTHING WITHOUT YOU
THE DAY IS TOO LONG

-

DEAR MOON
JEON HYOSUNG

-
THE MOON
-

Oh Sohee was sick. She always was, and she always would be. She stared silently through the window of her hospital room day in and day out because she knew she could only expect the sun and the moon. She could not expect another day of living, but she could only expect the sun and the moon; nothing else but the sun and the moon.

She had a doctor, just like every sick child, and she had a nurse. Her nurse was a student, but Sohee wasn't complaining; she couldn't expect anything and was in no position to complain. She would sit in her bed very still and unmoving, her eyes not leaving the blue sky and the white cotton clouds. The nurse would tell her stories of her life, other peoples' lives, but Sohee was disinterested in it all; she didn't expect her nurse to expect her to care either.

The suns blazed, and the moons shined, and the days went by, each day getting slower and longer than the other. Sohee didn't expect it, but she did wonder if the longest day would be when she died. The day would drag on and on, and the sun would blaze and blaze. It frightened her; she wanted to see the moon; she didn't want the moon to disappear. She wanted the moon to be hers, with her. Sohee could want, but she couldn't expect. Sohee was expected to want, but she wasn't expected to expect.

The nurse left. She was graduating. Sohee wondered how many moons had passed since she first met the nurse. The nurse got a job elsewhere, and Sohee got a new nurse. He was also a student; Sohee always got student nurses. Although he was supposed to be in college, Sohee couldn't help but think he was younger when he first introduced himself. Maybe it was the way his hair was styled, or maybe it was the way he greeted her. It did not seem professional at all, but it was still nice since it was variation, and Sohee needed some variation from her blazing suns and her shining moons.

"Hi," he greeted her the day they first met. "I'm Wonwoo. I'll be your new nurse."

He stuck his hand out for her to shake, but Sohee looked away. Clearly, he didn't know what state she was in. The doctor leaned in and whispered into the nurse's ear, and Sohee's eyes turned to look at him just in time to see his facial expression change. He looked so pained and appalled; Sohee kind of felt bad for him, but she couldn't say anything. She looked away again and stared at the drifting clouds and the patches of blue in the sky.

-

Wonwoo was wary around her after their first encounter. Sohee thought it was because of the way she introduced herself, but she didn't know; she didn't care either. She just wanted to stare at the blue and wait for the stars and the moon.

It took a while for Wonwoo to get comfortable with her. He would linger in the room and watch her from afar. If she coughed or sneezed, Wonwoo would run over to her side and ask her a billion questions in one single breath. Sohee didn't know if it was funny or irritating, but a couple times after he kept reacting the same way, Sohee realized it was irritating, and thus she got irritated. He kept acting as if she was going to drop dead any time soon. She wasn't going to drop dead any time soon because she knew she couldn't expect her death. She couldn't expect anything.