“I get picked up,” he said. 

I took Star’s harness and closed my locker.  “Me too.” 

“Star’s not allowed?” 

“No.  I have a mother who’s overly paranoid about me falling down the stairs.” 

There was also the fact that taking Star on the bus was kind of a pain in the ass.  There was no room for her to go, and since I obviously couldn’t see out the windows, I would never know when it was my turn to get off as a little kid.  So after sixth grade, Mom had enough of me missing the bus and just left work early to pick me up. 

Kurt walked next to me in the student-filled hallway.  Locker doors opened and closed, kids threw books in and out of backpacks.  I heard a pair of girls who were in English with me walking past, complaining about how boring the novel we had to read was. 

“Are you my escort or something?” I asked him. 

“Oh, sure.  For a pretty lady like you? Any time.”  I blushed and reached for the door, but Kurt rushed in front of me and grabbed it, pulling it open.  “After you.” 

I rolled my sunglass-hidden eyes and stepped out, carefully making my way down the stairs.  One, two, three, four steps, then the sidewalk.  I let out a sigh of relief and took a right, which led to the weeping willow tree outside the band room where Mom always pulled up.  Kurt’s sneakers and swishing jeans followed suit.  He was right by my side again in a matter or seconds. 

“So who’s picking you up?  Chauffer?  Limo driver?”  I asked. 

“Keep in mind, I’m no longer a rich kid,” he replied, “I’m just an ex-rich kid, thanks to my dad’s new career.” 

I stretched my arms and sat down cross-legged on the damp sidewalk.  My cold fingers wrapped themselves in Star’s fur, which was starting to get knotted.  I’d have to take her to the groomer’s over the weekend.  Kurt sat down beside me, a little close than I was comfortable with.  I nudged at Star and scooted over. 

“Does he want to start staying home or something?”  I asked. 

“He wants to start his own business.  He bought an empty place in the plaza a few blocks away from here,” he said.  “He wants to accomplish his dream of being the owner of one of those live-entertainment coffee places.” 

For the first time, I started laughing at something Kurt said that wasn’t meant to be funny.  I knew that plaza, and I knew the plaza right down the road with the Hug-a-Mug in it as well. 

“Why would he do that?  There’s a Hug-a-Mug right down the street?”  I asked, bewildered. 

“I…I don’t know, man.”  He paused, scratching his head.  “My dad thinks he can beat out the competition, and he got a good deal on the place.” 

“You dad thinks a family owned coffee shop can beat out the best coffee chain in the country?”  I smiled, shaking my head.  “Well he definitely doesn’t need to grow a pair.” 

“I know.  He hates pear trees.” 

I buried my face in Star’s fur.  He laughed along with me.  When I felt myself starting to calm down, I turned to him and ran my fingers through my silky hair.  Again, I could feel him smiling. 

“Your sarcasm is going to drive me crazy,” I said to him.  “But you should really watch it.  My best friend’s boyfriend’s family owns that Hug-a-Mug, and spoiler alert: he’s a total jerk.” 

I heard him sigh.  “Oh great.  He goes here, doesn’t he?” 

“Yeah.  I see him all the time.” 

“Well, hopefully I can just stay undercover and he won’t realize I’m around,” he said.  “It’s not like my dad’s place will get any business.” 

The two loud honks cut me off before I could answer.  I should’ve gotten up when I heard the car getting closer, but for some reason it wasn’t as noticeable.  Then again, I never had anyone to distract me. 

“That’s my mom,” I said. 

I put my hand on the ground, and he wrapped his fingers around my arm.  I tried to stay calm while prying them off. 

“I’m sorry,” he said.  “I just thought I’d help you up.” 

“Well don’t,” I snapped.  “I can get up by myself.” 

“Okay, okay.  I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.”  I nodded, and as I walked towards the car he said, “See you tomorrow?” like it was a question. 

“Why would you not?” I asked. 

“I don’t know.”  He exhaled long and slow.  “It was nice talking to you Lia.  I’ll see you soon.” 

“See you too,” I said. 

I grabbed the handle and flung the door open, taking a seat in the back alongside Star. I didn’t know if Mom could see, but I tried to pull my jacket over my mouth to hide my enormous grin.  The door shut behind me, and soon I was wrapped in the warmth of the car’s heat.  I faced the window, imagining Kurt in his dark hair, glasses, and sweater vest, waving as we pulled away.  I waved back, unsure if he was even looking my way. 

“Who is that?” Mom asked. 

“His name is Kurt,” I said.  “He’s a little on the weird side.  We have LRA together.”   

“Well if you ask me, I think he’s cute,” she said.  “He’s got a nice blond head of hair.”