My body starts to tremble. Master Styles was never fond of me. I was the black sheep amongst his group of negroes.

Attempting to leave before his icy eyes notice me I dart into the direction I recall Daria disappearing to. Only to bump into a green faced Anne.

"Oi! Sweety do me a favor and tighten the back of my corset will you?" She asks turning around as she pulls her messy brown hair up away from her back. I nod, even though she couldn't see me and grab ahold of the strings.

Under, over, under over I repeated this mantra in my head until Anne stepped away from me.

"I am trying this new mask on my face. It should make me look younger for the party. Have you still been reading?" Anne whispers as she looks around to make sure no one has heard.

She is the reason why I am the black sheep amongst everyone else. I nod my head again and keep my lips pressed together.

"Good girl" she pats my head like a dog and struts away. I never understood why she made me read countless hours over the years. She treated me like we were blood but I know she ain't nothing of the sort.

As I reach the entrance of the kitchen Daria stops me. "Take those slippers off right the' child aint nawwone tryna get in trouble from a mess." I huff and bend down to remove my shoes.

I look up at her expectedly waiting for her next demand.

"Go start peelin potatoes" she rolls her eyes at my lack of response when I whisk right past her over to the potatoes soaking in the sink.

"I swear when you was younger you never shut up and now I can barely get ya to say hi" another slave woman, Barbury claims, pointing a dripping spoon in my direction.

I keep my mouth shut.

"She only talk to her mama and Colis sometimes miss Anne when nawwone is around. She is a secretive sly little girl." Daria answers as she begins cropping some carrots.

Ignoring their comments, I scurry over to the trash with a potato in my hand and begin to peel it with a nearby knife. I hate the potatoes look. Ew.

One by one my hands begin to fumble around. I grew tired and frustrated. This is not how I wanted to spend my afternoon. But it was definitely better than being outside.

I rest the last potato back in the bowl before pushing my hair away from my face.

"Go sweep the steps." Barbury orders without looking at me. I nod once again, and turn on my heels. I grab my shoes but don't put them on, listening to the pads of my feet against the cool floor before stepping on the dry hot steps.

I sweep tirelessly as I begin to hum to myself. Alone in my head, the way I like it.

Sweat dripped from the crown if my head down the sides of my face. My vision became blurry out of frustration when I realize sweeping the stairs didn't do anything, the dirt just flew back on. Barbury ordered me to do something that was utterly impossible.

Her example of a joke. A sick one at that.

I heard a high pitched scream in a distance and my heart dropped. I run as fast as I can to see what is going on before I am blocked by Daria.

Where did she come from?

"Listen child, stand back. This aint what you wanna see. He will be fine." She lets out a shaky breath. I ignore her command and push past her.

I didn't make it far before I dropped to my knees. My Colis' back, bruised and bloodied. Long streaks of skin were ripped and oozing blood. He looks up to our Master who stands at his side.

"You talk to my son again like y'all are equal the beating will be far worse ya here?" Master Style belts out to the sky.

Colis nods and remains silent.

"Do you hear me?!" He screams as he flings the whip back across my brothers back. The cracking sound from the contact was loud, but not loud enough to conceal my cries.

Everyone, including Colis' warning eyes were on me but I dared not look up. I play with my the grass tickling my knees to distract myself from the stares and I cringe when I hear the whip slap across his back once more.

I nearly break my neck to look up when my brother didn't respond to the hit. He was battered, but not dead. His eyes still trained on me. Almost like he's telling me to cry, cry for the both of us because he was too weak to do so.

I break our contact and look at the two men powering over my brother. Our master was still staring at Colis' bruised body as an achievement while the man next to him stared at me. He eyebrows furrowed to the front of his forehead almost as if he's confused on why my cheeks are stained with tears.

His hair rests on his shoulders, his built was unfamiliar to me. Yet there was one thing I remember. I remember those green eyes. Those eyes that used to match mine until the time caused my green to dull itself into a mournful gray.

Master Styles looks at me and smiles before saying, "I want you back at my house later. You will help serve the guests."

I whimper as I grab ahold of the ends of my dress.

"Y-yes sir"

______
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY OMG
Comment? Vote?
Dedicated to HarrESgirl