↜10↝

***PLEASE CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY "ABSENCE" AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IT WOULD ME A LOT***
ILL GIVE YOU A COOKIE

Darcy's POV

"M-mama eat...please" I beg as I attempt to shove the spoon between her dry lips. After I left to see Colis I guess she fell into the pile of leaves. Her worn out body didn't give her the strength to lift herself up.

I was utterly terrified. Terrified of the idea that she was lifeless, lying down in her makeshift deathbed. When I was approaching where she was working tirelessly, I had so much to say to her and when I saw her groaning in pain, my mind went blank.

She now begins to open her mouth. I release the breath I did not know I was holding.

"Doll, give me the spoon, you eat." Colis grabs my hand, looking at me with pleading eyes. I don't put up a fight. I felt lightheaded in the fields and crying did not help either.

As I ate the lukewarm muck I began to ponder. Us blacks have been caged for so many years, but not once have I witnessed anyone break free through my years. We barely broke rules out of the fear Master Styles instilled in us.

I shiver at the moments that are lodged in my skull of many beatings I actually have seen.

Master Styles and his son had similarities. However, Harry was more...adamant when it came to overpowering us. Well, until that night where he tried to use me for his own needs.

Still, I couldn't help but shiver at the thought of his lips on my neck. I am not sure why, but I never felt this way before. But then again I was never treated like this as well.

Bringing the spoon back to my lips, I look over at Colis and mama. They work so well together. Almost like I am liminal in their lives. I pull myself out of reality to just sit and watch in silence.

I straighten my back when I begin to feel this heavy weight on my knee. I feel it. It's going to rain tonight.

"T-the storm will t-take me Colis. I k-know it will." I hear Mama murmur. That alone was enough to cause me to stand from my seat. I ignored the confused and curious stares at my abrupt commotion.

And without further words, I walk back to my little house. I bite my lip to stifle the incoming whimpers. I don't know what or who is dragging me away from the crowd. Almost like the wind is marking me as it's puppet, as it's fool.

I press my forehead against the rotting door. My sluggish body drooped and I couldn't find the strength to push to door open.

"You good?" There is a forceful tap on my shoulder causing me to timidly turn around.

"Don' be afraid of me. If ya were this can't work out." The black man chuckles.

"Why are you here Orum?" I ask. Shutting my eyes waiting for a response I did not receive. After sitting in a thick silence I reopen my eyes to see the distance between Orum and I had diminished significantly.

He stood there inspecting me with a dry loaf of bread hanging from his teeth.

"Why are you staring at me Orum?" I ask.

He simply shrugs his shoulders and continues to analyze me. "Ya know. You much differen' than everyone else. You are more..hushed up." He claims.

"And your point is?.." I retort, not really in the mood for a conversation.

"Pretty clever if I do say so myself." His smooth southern accent dripped from his mouth like honey. That's the word right? In books? Yeah.. honey.

"What's clever about being quiet all the time?"

"Well.. then no one knows what to expect. Silence can mean many things in this world. I wonda what your destiny is."

"Just like yours. Sweeping, cleaning, and serving until my last breath." I wryly state.

"Even for a negro, there is still a purpose..you see." He carelessly let's the bread fall from his hand. Slowly dirt overshadows it. The bread, the perfect piece of bread wasted.

"Why would you do that?"

I finally push myself away from the door.

"Just wait for it."

Soon enough, a beautiful gray bird stalks its way towards us. It darts its eyes between me and Orum. I hold in a breath. Not wanting to scare the little creature away.

Ever so slowly it toddles its way towards the bread. It taps its beak against it before harshly tugging on it.

"See. Even if we can't beat the white people at their own game. We can create our own. Something eats from our hands just like we eat from theirs. We ain't no differen' jus' color. But who wants white cloud when they can have a rainbow." He laughs at his own statement.

He throws his hands up to the sky. A bright smile decorated his face as he squints his eyes to look at me.

Over a course of seconds the light in his eyes dims and he is coated with a darkness overcast from the sky. It wasn't nighttime, no. It's a storm.

Soon, rain starts to tumble from the sky. My curly hair sticking to the sides of my face. I shut my eyes and purse my lips. The rain, it felt so soothing against my skin. I gently bring my fingers to my hair. Yanking out the hair tie to let the now heavy locks to wash over my damp shoulders.

God's heavenly tears meshed with mine.

The rain against my skin was calming, pleasurable, beautiful. But soon enough the shattering sound of the rain is overtaken by the cackling sound of thunder following with white glimmering glows of lighting striking various places in the thick woods not too far from home.

My legs gave out. I tumbled to the ground and bellowed to the sky.

"Why you wanna fly black bird..you ain't ever gonna...fly" I let go of everything and feeling.

Orum was hidden.
The sky was silent.
Mama was smiling.
Colis was crying.
Master was confused.
I was gone.
Out for the night
On the ground.
I was encased by the storm.
~•~

In life, we learn about the inequalities. Between man to man. Predator to prey. But we never look deep within the differences. We never take into consideration what makes one significantly more powerful than the other. Is it physical? Is it spiritual? Tell me. Tell me what makes me truly different from her than the color I lack. Not the color she has. Surely we both have bones, hearts, souls.
But that doesn't seem to matter. We live in a world that's full of deep, bleak, dark holes.
~ Sign of the Times HS

______
ONCE AGAIN CHECK IT OUT!! I LOVE YALL HAVE A GREAT DAY OR NIGHT AND I HOPE THIS CHAPTER WAS DECENT. MORE IS TO COME AND THANK YOU ALL FOR 1.4K READS. Hope it didn't suck and made some sense on what is going on.
*sorry for the wait as well*

Dedicated to Hope_023 & sunkissedbliss