Ch. 35 - Worst Breakuper Ever

Start from the beginning

He shrugs and slides my items through the scanner. "I've been better. No one hangs out around the cliff anymore because it's too cold at night. I'm getting lonely."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that, Landon."

He winces when I call him by his real name. "Uh, I haven't seen Elliott around in months. What's up with that?"

"I wouldn't know," I say. "I thought he was still hanging around."

"Nope. Isn't it part of your role as his girlfriend to know these things?"

"Maybe." I place the last item on the conveyer belt. "But I'm not his girlfriend anymore."

Yogi raises his eyebrows in surprise. "What? The golden couple is no longer together?"

"Nope."

"What happened? Is it because you're leaving for college?"

I shrug. "Elliott just wanted to end the summer fling."

Yogi stares into my eyes, as if trying to read my soul or something. "I got two words for you, Ivy: bull and shit. That's bullshit."

"I agree with him," Nora says with a smile, handing me the pack of skittles she wants to buy.

Yogi points to Nora. "You want to go on a date sometime?"

"No," Nora says flatly.

"Okay," Yogi says and claps his hands, turning back to me. "But Elliott didn't think of your relationship as a summer fling, Ivy."

"Well, that's what he said, so-"

"Well, that's not what he meant, so," he mimics. "What else did he say?"

"I don't know. Something about how he wasn't happy anymore." I run a hand through my hair. "I don't know what else. I've tried to block the conversation out of my memory."

Yogi shakes his head. "That doesn't make any sense. The last time I talked to Elliott he couldn't stop talking about how much he loved you. I think he actually said, 'she makes me happier than you eating pot brownies.' Let me tell you, Ivy, that's a lot of happiness."

I smile. "Okay, well, things changed."

"And a summer fling? No way. He always talked about his future with you." Yogi sighs. "I'm smelling some serious bullshit up in this convenient store."

I hand him my card to pay for the things. "Once again, things changed." I sign my signature on the screen. "I guess you were right after all, Landon. I was just in his way."

"No!" Yogi cries. "No, no, no." He leaves his station to follow Nora and me out of the store. "You changed him for good, Ivy. He's a better person. He cares about his family and his friends so much more."

"He dumped me. End of discussion."

"No, it's not end of discussion. You need to talk to him about it. He-he has to have some other explanation."

"Whatever, Landon," I sigh. "Bye."

He shakes his head, looking defeated. "I won't let my one true pair sink in this twisted sea of lies." He sticks his finger in the air. "I won't!"