Chapter Twenty: Emma

Start from the beginning

"Oh, God," I muttered, trying to angle my back away from him so that 'Vlad the Impaler,' as Will had so eloquently put it in one of his poems, would stop jabbing me in the back.

This didn't really work. The only way to get far enough away was to arch my back as far as I could, but this wasn't the easiest position to hold. After about thirty seconds, I gave up and settled back into my previous position.

"Oh, God, kill me," I said, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. It was tempting to wake him up, but I didn't want to bother him. Not because I wanted to let him sleep, but because I knew things would either get really awkward or really ugly. I didn't want to face him. I just wanted to get away from him. I arched my back again, determined to stay in this position this time.

I tried grabbing onto his arms and pulling them away from my body, but this just made everything even worse. Instead of moving his arms away from me and letting me go—as I'd hoped he'd unconsciously do—he pulled me closer to him, undoing the progress I'd made by arching my back away from his, um, area.

"Oh, to hell with awkwardness," I muttered to myself. Saving myself from an uncomfortable moment to get out of a situation that was even more uncomfortable was worth it. "Will."

No response.

"Will," I snapped, raising my voice.

No response.

"Will, wake the hell up," I cried, shaking his hand and moving around. The moving around didn't last very long. All that seemed to do was make Vlad the Impaler jab me in the back repeatedly, and oh, my God, I needed a shower. Desperately.

Nothing. I tried everything to get him to wake up. I even tried scooting off of the bed, but he might as well have been a two-ton rock. I couldn't budge either of us. The only thing I didn't do was scream, and that was only because I didn't want to alert Eric and Taylor. If they walked in and saw us like this, there would be absolutely no way to explain to them what was going on and convince them that nothing had happened. This looked really bad. I would rather lay there than risk that kind of humiliation.

I glanced up at the clock, hoping a lot of time had passed so that Will would wake up soon. It was only 10:30. I'd only been asleep for three and a half hours. Less, actually. I'd woken up twice by that point. I had probably only slept a little under three hours. Godammit.

I settled for arching my back away from him again, but that didn't work as well now that he'd pulled me closer. "Kill me now," I groaned, about five seconds away from having an emotional meltdown. Then I saw the glass of water I'd left on the nightstand. I'd thrown one on Will last night, but the other one still had a bit of water left.

My hand stretched out immediately, although my arm couldn't reach its full length; it was slightly restricted. I managed to free my arm from Will's grip, surprisingly, and I reached the glass of water—just barely. Using the tips of my fingertips, I brought it closer. Just close enough to wrap my hand around it.

Bingo. I smiled in relief when my hand was secured on the glass. I carefully brought the glass over, twisted around slightly to hold it near Will and away from me, and then... Splash. Out went the contents of the glass.

That got him to wake up. I should've tried it sooner. He immediately jolted away from me, releasing me from his hold and pushing me simultaneously. I almost tumbled to the ground, but I managed to hold onto the bed and remain onboard. Will, on the other hand, fell to the ground with a loud thud and a loud, "Ow!"

I quickly pretended to be asleep. He probably wasn't stupid enough to think it had been anyone but me, but maybe he would believe I'd sleep-attacked him.