Chapter 7

Thank you all for your support. Means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. Another one coming your way next Friday. Have a great weekend. :)

(Ben)

Emma was sitting at her desk talking on the phone when I marched into the reception room, the following afternoon. I walked past her without saying a word and let myself into Dad's office. He was searching through the clutter that covered the desktop, mumbling under his breath.

"What are you looking for?" I asked, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk.

"An ink pen," he replied.

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "You wouldn't have trouble finding one if you would clean your desk off."

"You sound like Emma." Dad shuffled some papers around. "She's always getting after me to tidy up my desk. I would, but it would just end up a mess again. What brings you here?"

"I need to borrow one of your assistants," I said. "As you know, I'm going out of town for a few days on business. I can't take Anita with me like I usually do. Her mother is having surgery in the morning and she wants to be there for her. My other assistant has to stay and take care of business while I'm away."

"Have you asked Peter if you can borrow one of his assistants?" he wanted to know.

"He's understaffed at the moment." Tired of watching him search for a pen, I stuck my hand in the inside pocket of my suit coat and brought out an ink pen. I tossed it on the desk, telling him to keep it.

"Thank you, son." Dad sat back, his chair letting out a squeak. "So you want to borrow an assistant."

"I want your best," I told him. "I don't have the time or patience for anything else."

"You're asking for a lot, but since it's for the good of the company I'll agree to it." He leaned across the desk and pressed the intercom button. "Please, step into my office."

The door opened, several seconds later, and Emma entered the room. She moved toward the desk, paused beside it, and glanced down at Dad. I waited for her to say something. When she didn't I turned my attention to Dad, expecting him to start talking. He just sat there and looked up at her.

I frowned at them. Why the hell were they staring at each other? Why wasn't anyone saying anything? "What's going on?" I was met with silence. "Someone answer me?" Still silence. "This is not funny." Neither one spoke.

Sighing heavily, I rose to my feet and headed for the door. I didn't have time for their games. I had work that required my attention.

"Ben, come back here," Dad called out.

I spun around, arching an eyebrow. "Are you two done?"

"We are." Dad wagged his finger at Emma. "I will win, young lady. Mark my words."

She inclined her head. "You haven't yet, but I wish you good luck nonetheless."

"Do you two play your little game often?" I inquired, returning to my chair.

"Of course." Dad smirked at Emma and then glanced at me. "It's more than a staring game. It's a chance for me to relax and work on my breathing."