Chapter 2

Thank you all for your support. It means so much to me. I hope you enjoy the new chapter, and I will have another chapter up next Friday. Hope you all have a great weekend. :)

(Ben)

"I will have my assistant fax you a copy of the contract once we reach the office," I informed my client. "Anything else?"

"No, that will be all," he answered. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I will be in touch soon." We said goodbye, and I ended the call, slipping my phone into the inside pocket of my suit coat. I glanced at my assistant, Anita, who was sitting beside me in the backseat. "When we get back to the office fax Gary Davenport a copy of the contract he signed."

"Yes, sir," she replied, without taking her eyes off the tablet she held in her hands.

I turned my attention to the passing scenery, my mind on the meeting I had just came from. The sound of Anita humming cut into my thoughts. I gritted my teeth. She was always humming and off key too, which only made it worse.

I glared at her, but of course she didn't notice. She was too busy with her tablet. I took the opportunity to study her. Her light brown hair was escaping her bun, and she was wearing a dress that looked as though it belonged in my grandmother's closet. The woman was in need of some serious fashion advice.

"Do you want something, sir?" she asked, turning her hazel eyes toward me.

"Yes," I said. "I want you to stop humming. You are always doing it and I find it irritating."

Anita grimaced. "I'm sorry, sir. It's a habit I can't seem to break."

"Try," I muttered. "For the love of God try."

"Yes, sir," she sighed. "It's just that-"

"Just what?" I demanded to know when she didn't finish what she wanted to say.

"It's just humming helps calm my nerves," she explained.

"What do you have to be so nervous about?" I snapped.

"I mean no disrespect, sir, but you're not the easiest man to work for." Anita cleared her throat. "You-you tend to-to-"

"Spit it out."

"You tend to get on my nerves." She clapped a hand over her mouth, her eyes growing wide. Her expression was almost comical. "I'm sorry, but-"

"Don't," I interrupted. "Don't apologize for speaking your mind. So I get on your nerves. The truth is you get on mine. I guess we can say we're even." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Look, Anita. I'm not going to fire you over something you say. As long as you do your job and do it well, you will always have one. Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Work on the blasted humming."

She sighed again. "May I ask you a personal question?"

"Go ahead," I encouraged her.

"How many years have you and Mrs. Wellston been married?"

"Ten years." Ten long years, I silently added.

"Woman deserves a medal," she uttered under her breath.

I smirked.