Sneak Peek of Chapter 1

I hope you all enjoy the little sneak peek and that it gets you in the mood for the story. I will be starting this story on December the 3rd. Can't wait to share it with you all. :)

(Emma)

A beam of sunlight spilling across the bed woke me from my sleep. Squinting at the digital alarm clock on the nightstand, I saw it was a few minutes before seven-thirty. I rolled over onto my other side and came face to face with my Jack Russell Terrier I had named Henry.

Smiling weakly, I reached out and scratched him between the ears. His eyes closed, and his tail twitched. I dropped a kiss on his head and scooted to the edge of the bed. I padded barefoot to the walk-in closet, switching on the light as I stepped inside.

My eyes scanned the clothes on the hangers. After a few minutes of indecision, I selected a black pant suit and a royal blue blouse. Taking off my nightgown, I put on a bra and then the clothes. On my way out of the closet, I slid my feet into a pair of black flats.

In the adjoining bathroom, I ran a brush through my long red hair, applied a touch of makeup, and spritzed my neck with perfume. Fastening my watch to my wrist, I left the bedroom, Henry on my heels.

Passing Ben's office, I heard the deep timbre of his voice and stopped in my tracks. I closed my brown eyes and listened to him. I wasn't eavesdropping, just listening to him. His voice was one of the things I loved about him. It used to have the power to calm me when I was upset, but not any more.

I headed to the kitchen. Once there, I let Henry outside to do his business. While I waited for him to finish I started the coffee brewing and retrieved the ingredients I would need for breakfast.

Henry barked, letting me know he wanted back inside. I let him in and gave him his breakfast. Now that he was taken care of I could focus my attention on fixing something to eat for Ben and myself.

Just then, Ben strolled into the kitchen looking handsome in a dark suit. He was broad shouldered and tall, had short black hair, and eyes as blue as the sky on a cloudless day. His eyes were the first thing I had noticed about him when we met all those years ago.

"Don't bother making breakfast for me," he said. "I have an early meeting."

I held back a sigh. "Of course you do."

"What is that supposed to mean?" he demanded to know.

"It means nothing." It meant this was going to be the third time this week I would be eating breakfast alone and I hated it. I put everything back in the fridge and grabbed the carton of milk. Since it was just going to be me I couldn't see cooking. Cereal was going to be my breakfast.

"It means something." Ben grabbed a travel mug from the cabinet above the coffee pot and filled it with coffee. "It always means something with you, Emma, but if you want to pretend it doesn't go right ahead."

I gripped the carton of milk until my knuckles turned white with strain. It would be so easy to fight with him-to give in to the anger tearing through me. Instead, I counted to ten over and over until I was calm.

"Did you remember to pick up my tux from the cleaners?" he asked, putting the lid on the mug. "If not I'm going to need you to do that today. I also need you to drop by Armitage Jewelers and pick up my cuff links. It has to be done by tomorrow night."

"I picked up your tux and cuff links yesterday on my way home," I answered. "Your tux is hanging in the closet, and your cuff links are in my jewelry case."

"Good," he muttered. "I hope the cleaners remembered to give you back my bow-tie. Last time they forgot and I had to borrow one at the last minute."

"I made sure they gave it back," I said. "Will you be requiring anything else, Mr. Wellston?"

Ben arched an eyebrow.

"You'll have to forgive me," I uttered coolly. "For a moment there I thought I was talking to your father."

"I'll have my assistant send you a check for your services." Smirking, he turned and left the kitchen.

I wanted to go after him and slap that smirk off his face. I sat down at the table instead.