Chapter 3

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate you. Hope you enjoy the new chapter. The next chapter will be uploaded next Friday. Hope you all have a great weekend. :)

(Emma)

"Hello, Emmy."

I glanced up from my plate and saw Peter standing there. Breaking into a smile, I said hello.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked.

"Please."

Peter pulled out a chair and sat down across from me. "Where's that brother of mine?"

At the mention of Ben, my stomach clenched painfully. I took a deep breath, picked up a glass of water, and took a drink. "He's at home," I said evenly.

"Hi, Peter," the server said, pausing next to the table. "Do you want the usual?"

"Nope." He winked at her. "I'm going to mix it up a little. Give me a slice of cherry pie with extra whipped cream and a cup of your finest coffee."

"You got it."

"Thanks, Andrea."

"You're welcome." She left to place his order.

"I take it you come here often," I said dryly.

"At least four times a week."

I shook my head.

"Hey, I don't have a wife to cook for me like Ben does. I have to take care of myself."

"I would be happy to cook for you." I cut into my meatloaf. "Lord knows I don't cook much for Ben these days."

Peter studied me in silence for a few seconds. "You two had a fight, didn't you?"

"I'm not going to answer that," I said. "You're his brother. I won't put you in the middle of our problems."

"You're not," he told me. "I'm putting myself in the middle. Did you two have a fight?"

"You're ruining my appetite, Wellston," I chided him.

"You're evading the question, Wellston," Peter said, smiling.

I dropped my fork onto the plate, pushing the plate away.

"Don't do that." He shoved the plate toward me. "You need to eat, Emmy. You're skin and bones."

"Gee, you sure know how to make a girl feel good about herself," I uttered sarcastically.

"You're a beautiful woman," Peter stated. "I've always told you that. Please, finish your dinner."

"Your pie and coffee," Andrea said, arriving at the table. She placed the plate and cup in front of Peter. "Let me know if you want anything else."

"What's your usual?" I asked, once the server left.

"Burger and fries, but I already had dinner so I thought I would drop in and have dessert." He reached for his fork. "So what did you and Ben fight about?"

"What don't we fight about." I sighed. "I've been seeing a therapist for the past three months. I just now told him about it. He wasn't happy I kept him in the dark."

Peter chewed a forkful of pie, swallowed, and then said, "Even if you hadn't kept him in the dark he wouldn't be happy. He thinks therapists are a waste of time and money."