editorial filtering standards

Start from the beginning

The implied presence of the devil lurks not only in the writing, but in the number of voices wishing to be heard.  Wielding words as if keys to gain passage, mediocrity stands at the gates rattling the barriers to entry, the traditional review process raises.  It threatens status quot.  One does not have to look too hard to see problems this overload causes: 

 · Too often,  Acquisition, Development and Copy Editors divert attention from their responsibilities.  The publisher's most valuable resources need to focus on titles already in the system.  They underutilize their skills when they wade into the evaluation process too early.  Such distraction and misapplication of talent often results from two reasons.  Either the slush pile creates a crisis of space, or, the Industry Readers fail to follow House Story  and Style Guides.  In the first case, a board room too cramped for meetings, demands that everyone pitches in.  In the second, diamonds-in-the-rough seduce advancement too early.

 · Critiquing inconsistencies raise eyebrows.  Anecdotes circulate which challenge the review process.  On occasion and out of curiosity, original manuscripts of successful frontlist titles are renamed and resubmitted to to the slush pile.  Rejections raise valid questions.

 · Opportunities slip through fingers.  Reputations suffer.  Bestsellers by first time authors commonly experience rejection by multiple renown publishers.

 · Objective and professional critiques are not always assured.  Evaluation criteria whimsically changes according to backlog.  Unmarketable writing finds itself sported around the office as entertaining examples of purple prose.

 · A general attitude discounts the potential of nonprofessional writing too quickly.  In reality, how else can new talent be sourced on such favorable terms?

 · The advent of self publishing?  Is it the absolute threat or refreshing opportunity?  Possibly a paradigm shift in the making?

Recognition of these malfunctions inspire the need for a new strategy.  The thought of the incalculable loss to society added the motivation.  The volumes of inferior writing conceal the next Laura Hillenbrand [3], John Berendt [4], Alice Walker [5], James Joyce [6], William Faulkner [7],  or Irwin Shaw [8].

The status of the Industry Reader also needs boosting.  Typically, this job ranks as an unsavory entry level position.  New recruits set out to pay their dues, armed with only a set of rules and photocopied rejections ready for mailing.  This position deserves respect, for in reality, it has the most impact over safeguarding literary standards.  The Industry Reader mans the front-line against the dreaded newbie.

With this in mind, the 4gR   program was created.  It enlists aspiring authors, rather than employees, to cull submissions.  Motivations are different.  Writers seek to improve their craft, whereas, editorial staff fulfill the responsibilities of the job.

Writing may originally have inspired the career choice in publishing, but the current job description fails to include creative writing.

The 4gR  program offers the opportunity to learn through the writing mistakes of others.  It also reveals the criteria by which publishers make choices.