Chapter Three

*Present Day*

The light from the floor-to-ceiling windows illuminated the sleeping face of Charlotte Downs. Her eyes fluttered open. Yawning, she got out of bed and padded across the hardwood floors to the large bathroom. Adjusting her silk nightgown, she peered at her face in the mirror.

Her dyed blonde hair was tangled but still framed her face beautifully. Under her artfully arched brows, blue eyes blinked back at her, last night's makeup smudged across the lower lid. She had perfectly white teeth and plump pink lips. Her large breasts spilled out of her nightgown. She had just gotten a crystal nose piercing, which glittered in her perfectly shaped nose.

Having re-determined she was beautiful, she went pee, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, and went back into the bedroom. Last night's hookup lay there, perfectly still and perfectly dead. Now she just needed to dispose of the body. Charlotte was glad her ritzy apartment building had no security cameras and no nosey neighbours. She was also glad she worked out 6 times a week, which was why she was able to scoop the guy into her arms and carry him up to the roof.

 She walked to the edge of the roof and stood him up so he was standing, leaning against her outstretched hands. With a shove, his body dropped 40 stories to the ground. Charlotte brushed off her hands and went back to her apartment to grab a coffee mug and fill it up. She went back to the roof and dropped it right by the door to the stairs. She went back downstairs, called 911, and took a shower.

Later, as she was chopping vegetables for dinner, Charlotte heard a knock at her door. She opened it to a police officer. A sexy police officer. Her first instinct was to stab him with the knife she still held, but she repressed that instinct.

"Can I help you, officer?" She gasped, blinking innocently.

"Yes. I regret to inform you that Nate Grey's body dropped 40 stories from the roof just this morning. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? You are Charlotte Downs, aren't you?" He asked sternly.

Charlotte gasped, tears springing to her eyes. "Ohmygod! Yes, I am. Please, come in, officer...?"

"You don't have to call me officer. My name is Jackson." He smiled at her, stepping over the threshold.

"Um you can take a seat there," she said, gesturing to a modern leather couch in the living room. She headed to the kitchen to set down the knife. "Sorry for the mess, I was just making dinner."

She sat across from him, wiping her eyes. "I don't know why I'm getting so emotional, I only met him last night. He is -was- really nice. What do you need to know?"

"You took Nate Grey home with you, correct?" He demanded.

"Yes." She nodded, blushing.

"Please tell me everything that happened from last night to the last time you saw him this morning."

"Ummmm, ok. I met him at a club downtown. I think it was called L'amour, or something french like that. He, um, spent the night, and when I woke up he was gone. I usually take my coffee up to the roof -my neighbours can confirm that- and when i opened my the door, I saw him standing on the ledge. I tried to stop him but...he jumped." She let out a sob and blew her nose with a tissue.

"I'm sorry, Miss Downs. Just a few more questions. Did you drop your coffee mug?"

A look of confusion passed over her face. "I-I think so. I've had that mug forever; it said princess on it, just like my dad's nickname for me....Anyways, I don't remember everything, it was kind of a blur. I called 911, I do remember that. After that I tried to block it out."

"Yes, we had a lot of calls. Well, I think that's all. Please stay in town in case we have any more questions." Jackson stood up to go.

"You want me to stay in town...am I a suspect?!" Charlotte gasped.

"I don't know, Miss Downs. Did you kill Nate Grey?" He walked over to her and looked her in the eye.

She wiped her eyes, took a deep breath, and stood up to meet his gaze. "No. I did not," she said firmly. "Why, Officer Jackson, do you think me capable of murder?" She gazed up at him seductively through her lashes.

He gulped. "Well, Miss - Charlotte, - I think you're capable of many things. Not murder. But you are capable of being very, very attractive."

She raised an eyebrow. "Officer, do you ever use those handcuffs for.....other purposes?" She trailed her finger along his chest.

The radio attached to his uniform crackled and a voice came on it, reporting a bank robbery.

"Now officer, are you going to answer that, or are you going to join me," she walked towards her room, swaying her hips, and turned around to face him in the doorway. "...in the bedroom?"

Jackson stood still for a moment, thinking it over. He was supposed to be on the clock, but he hadn't had sex in ages...

The police officer ripped off the radio and followed the murder suspect nick-named Princess to her bed.