Chapter 24 Breaking Point

Narrator

          The room was unnaturally silent, but everyone’s minds were screaming. Evangeline’s mind was sobbing and shouting. Why, why did this have to happen to me?! , it screamed.Cecilia’s mind was in deep concentration. How did I not see this coming? Couldn’t I have done something to prevent this? Lisa’s mind was praising her. I’m such a home wrecker but I just love tearing people apart like this. It makes me feel better. Rick’s mind was filling with doubt. Should we’ve done this so soon? Maybe we should have waited until Beckett and Eve were older. There was no rush. But Beckett’s mind was the loudest. It was filled with questions, anger, and sadness. Who do they think they are?! Evangeline and I were together first. How could they do this to us? My baby, I don’t think she can take any more stress. You know what, that’s it.

     All of that built up anger. All of that built up stress. All that built up pain was finally unleashed. Beckett stood up from the couch and looked at Lisa first.

     “Wipe that pathetic smile off your face. And you,” he turned towards his father. “How could you do this? I was with Evangeline first! Is it really that hard for you to see me happy? You just love to ruin everything for me, don’t you?” There was a sharp intake of breath before he turned to Cecilia. “And you, you saw this didn’t you? You knew this was going to happen and you didn’t do anything about it!”  Silence. “You know all of you are cold, heartless assholes.”

     Before Beckett continued with his rant, his father walked over to him.

     “Beckett, just calm down.” Rick said calmly.

     “No I’m not going to calm down! How am I supposed to be with my girlfriend if she’s my step-sister? This is all your fault!” The anger in which had consumed Beckett was becoming unbearable. He could no longer express it through words. He had had enough of his father’s bullshit. Every time Beckett was even remotely happy, his father had to come along and screw it up.

     With a burst of adrenaline, Beckett tackled Rick to the ground. Rick, in a flight or fight response, began to beat up Beckett. As the two beat each other to a pulp, all three ladies were screaming for them to stop. Finally Lisa dug her nails into Beckett and pulled him off of Rick.

     “Get out of here!” Lisa screamed as she pushed Beckett towards the door. She then turned her attention to her fiancé. Beckett looked towards Evangeline. She was trembling and tears were slowly rolling down her face. When they locked eyes he mouthed the words ‘I’m sorry’ and then opened the door and ran out into the street.

     Cecelia watched as Beckett ran out the door. Then she looked towards Eve. She was frozen in her spot. Cecelia began to walk towards her niece but before she reached her Evangeline seemed to shake out of her invisible trance. Then like a lightning bolt she ran out the door.

     “Evangeline, wait!” She said trying to run after her but by the time she got to the door Evangeline was almost out of sight. ‘What have I done?’ Cecelia thought. ‘If I never asked Lisa to move out here, none of this would have happened.’

     Evangeline never thought she’d be able to run this fast, especially with her fragile frame. Plus the snow made the road a little slippery. As she ran, Evangeline kept her eyes on Beckett the best she could. Finally, Beckett just seemed to give up and he knelt on the ground. He didn’t have the energy or the willpower to run any further. Evangeline slowed to a walk and when she reached Beckett, she knelt down in front of him.

     They stayed silent; not a word was spoken. As they sat there, the trees danced in the wind and the wind whistled in their ears. Off in the distance a coyote began to howl. ‘I can relate to your pain.’  Eve thought as she listened to the howling. Her grandmother once told her that when an animal cries out in the night, they are in pain and feel alone.

     “I’m sorry Evangeline.” Beckett’s voice finally broke through the noisy silence.

     “It’s not your fault Beckett. You didn’t know.” Eve tried to console him. When she placed her hand on his shoulder, he grabbed it and squeezed it gently.

     “You do know that I’m going to do everything I can to get us out of this, right?” he asked as he looked up at her. His cheek was bruised and his eyes red.

     “Yes I know.” Then the tension broke. Evangeline embraced Beckett in a tight hug and began to sob into his shoulder. He hugged her back.

     “I will never stop loving you.” Beckett said as he began to sway Evangeline back and forth. The snow kept falling, the wind kept whistling and the coyote continued to howl at the night sky. They started this relationship on this road, in the rain, with tears on their faces and they ended this relationship on this road, in the snow, with tears on their faces.     

Author's Note: Sorry it's such a short chapter but I need some fillers. I'm actually just winging the rest of the book. I have no idea how things are going to play out from here but you know when you continue writing you get ideas. Well enjoy and please comment and vote. Love ya :-)