Chapter 4

The next morning I awoke to the insistent knocking from jim at my door.

" Max" knock knock,

"Get out here Max" knock knock,

" Go away!" I grumbled. Now the knocking was louder. I should've kept my mouth shut I thought while putting the pillow over my head to muffle the door pounding.

" Max, I know you're awake so come out we need to talk."

I removed the pillow from my head and sat up. " Go ahead and talk I can hear you just fine, but please stop with all the knocking."

" I don't want to talk to the door Max I want to talk to you now get out here."

" Ok, OK I'll be out in a minute." I stumbled my way out of bed trying to get my foot untangled from the sheets. I then threw the lump of sheets and blanket to the side of the bed up against the wall. I didn't make it out of my room good before I was face to face with Jim's annoying smile and voice.

"Good morning sunshine, well what's left of the morning it's almost eleven. "What would you like for breakfast?."

" Huh, breakfast there's food?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing I was so hungry.

"Yes there's food because while you were sleeping the day away I went exploring and found the supermarket."

"There's bagels with cream cheese, glazed donuts or microwavable sausage biscuits in the freezer take your pick." Plus there's a pot of coffee already made on the counter."

I walked around him and into the open kitchen. The kitchen matched the rest of the house's older but charming look, with its aged and slightly peeling tan linoleum floors, well worn white counters tops, to its cabinets with a very nice dark fo- wood finish.

Over all I would say I liked the place although I would never tell Jim that his inner journalist might decide to write a speech about it, then frame and hang it somewhere in the house.

The wonderful smell of coffee directed me to my first stop on the counter. I grabbed one of the small Styrofoam cups Jim had placed beside the coffee pot and began pouring a cup. Next stop donuts as my eyes hovered over the package. I devoured half the donut with one bite while trying to wipe off the excess crumbs from around my mouth, that just wound up sticking to my shirt.

As I looked down to wipe them away for good, my eyes paused on the small red stains of blood from last night. As I stared at the stains it got the gears in head going. A resounding message of, Wait a minute, popped into my head. Why was Jim being so nice with the breakfast feast?, and What did he want to talk to me about? All signs pointed to the doctor.

Jim was going to call the doctor this morning to make an appointment that has to be what he wanted to talk about and what this breakfast is all about. He's just trying to get on my good side before dropping the doctor's appointment bomb on me.

I had to find out, so I put the donut and my coffee back on the counter gripping the cup so hard I nearly poked a hole through the Styrofoam. I walked back over to the living room where Jim was sitting comfortably on the couch. He looked up as I got closer to him.

" Hey thanks for the breakfast dad, so what did you want to talk with me about earlier?' I asked making sure to sound happy and calm.

" Well I was hoping we could go find your new school, pickup any paperwork or student handbook that you need. Then maybe get a feel for the campus if that's allowed."

"What do you think you up for a little adventure?"

" I don't know maybe, is that all you wanted to talk about?"

" That and I'd like you to give me hand unpacking some more of these boxes later." he said while pointing to the stack of them up against the wall.

" Ok, I guess I'll go get ready."

I walked over and grabbed my suitecase by the front door and wheeled it into my room. After pulling out some jean shorts and a random blue shirt I headed to the bathroom for a much need refreshing shower.

After getting dressed and running a comb through my hair. I walked out to the living room but Jim was nowhere in sight. I knocked on his door but got no answer. I called out his name from the living room but still no answer. Well, I thought that only leaves outside to check for him, and sure enough as I opened the door I heard my name being called from outside. As I stepped out there he was standing next to the car waiting on me.

" Alright, alright I heard you, I'm ready to go. Be right there!"

He paused for a moment then opened the drivers side door and got in. We weren't even out of the subdivision before Jim had to ask,

"So what took you so long to get ready? You do know I'm the older one so by default it's supposed to take me longer to do things than you?"

" Ha Ha very funny, I didn't realize we were on a time schedule, Also you didn't need to call for me while you were waiting by the car I was on my way out."

"I'm sorry you're right we don't have any set plans for today, and I am impatient granted but I didn't call you, I was going to give you a least another five minutes before forming a search party to find you."

"Oh are you sure because I heard... the puzzled look on Jim's face was all I needed to stop any more words from forming. I then looked away and stared ahead at the red traffic light we were at. Jim eventually did the same as the glowing red light changed to green. While adding a very cheery,

"Get ready Emerson High School here we come."

Wonderful, just wonderful I thought, like I didn't have enough on my plate with the visions.

Now I'm hearing random voices outside of them.

Just more icing to add to my misery cake... Ugh My Life.