“Ooh! Hi!” Came a high pitched voice followed by chipmunk-like giggles from behind the counter as the glass door slowly drew back to its place and a clinking bell sounded, “Afternoon dears, how can I be of assistance?”

 “You got any maps here?” Taym said stepping forward, and as the plump lady nodded cheerfully and dove to the back, he whispered, “Get the snacks Leah, and get me whatever you find.”

I walked over to the confectionary section and began to browse; I heard the clerk’s clumsy footsteps grow louder and froze as her words beautifully continuously rang in my head like a catchy melody I’d hear off the radio.

 “Aren’t you going to get your girlfriend anything?”

I instantly tried peeking in between the shelves in attempt to study his expression but before I knew it, he turned back and his eyes locked with mine.

My heart beat fast, it felt like I was just caught shoplifting –guilty as charged! However, his lighthearted smile helped ease out a smile of my own. I mean, he did look back! He must’ve been thinking of something!

I wore a straight face on as I approached the counter, having decided to play it cool, and dropped a few chocolate bars onto it. The next few minutes I spent awkwardly swaying back and forth trying to avoid Taym’s eyes, which would automatically trigger a major blushing conflict, and ignore the lady’s replaying chipmunk giggles as we paid the bill.

“Wasn’t that fun?” Taym sarcastically said, obviously amused, as he kept the door open for me.

“Exceptionally.” I mordantly replied trying my hardest to suppress my giggles, and confidently walk back to the pickup where Rita was already waiting.

“About time! I thought you got lost in that little cubicle!” She shouted out as we came into her field of view.

“It’s a lot bigger than it looks!” Taym shouted back, softly nudging me, his voice draining as a powerfully thunderous, pitch black Harley Davidson made its way into the parking lot, off it came a figure in a sleek black coat and I couldn’t tell, but I could’ve sworn his eyes were fixed on us from under his helmet. He began to cautiously move in the direction of the minimart, nothing unusual… or was it us he walked towards? I didn’t know, but there definitely was something about him… something nasty…

‘Don’t move. Don’t try anything stupid.’

 I gasped and stumbled back as a stridently hoarse fierce voice rang in my head constantly. With every step he took my heart raced, my eyes grew wider and my mind flooded with questions and instincts.

“Leah? What’s wrong?”

‘Don’t move.’ I told him in his head, hoping the ominous person couldn’t listen in our conversation; however, his menacing sneer rang ever so clearly in my mind telling me otherwise.

“What? Why?” Taym innocently said, the man now drawing close.

I watched as Taym quickly scanned the vicinity, and I must’ve been mistaken but it was almost like he recognized the figure. My eyes and his quickly shifted from the incoming threat to the loud honking coming from the Toyota in unison, we looked at each other and we seemed to be thinking the same thing.

“Now!” He yelled and we tore down the parking lot as the man abruptly stopped and raised both his hands.

Get down!I screamed at Taym as a large metallic bin flew right past our noses and skirted down the road trailed by showers of sparks and an earsplitting creek.

Rita let loose a loud yelp and hurriedly fumbled with the car keys in attempt to start the engine, “What in the name of –”

I leaped into the car, and dragged Taym in as it sprang to life and sped onto the highway.

“What the heck is up with that freak! What did you do?!”  Rita shrieked, shaking, her hands vigorously manning the car.

I myself couldn’t help but wonder. What was that! What did he want from us?! The shock I couldn’t overcome tied down my tongue as I tried to utter.

“It was… He… He had my abilities…” Taym managed to shout out, heavily panting, looking back every now and then.

“He – what?! You said you never had brothers!” Rita presumed shrieking, her traumatized eyes fixed on the road.

“He had mine too!” I groaned, breathless as well, “This was definitely not the last –”

Before I could even finish my sentence, the roaring Harley tailed us and quickly began to catch up.

“Taym! Do something!” I yelled out panicking.

He hastily felt for something deep in his pockets and took out a yellow gem, which I had faintly recognized, emitting tremendously powerful rays.

“You want to play dirty now, don’t you?” A sort of smirk slowly spread across his face as he stuck his head out the window.

That was when all hell broke loose.

Chunks of stones began to literally float in midair before they soared towards the Harley and towards us at deadly speeds; Rita would suddenly scream and curse whenever a stone left a deep dent or tore along her pink metal. I tried to focus in the chaos of the situation and screech into the man’s mind, but I didn’t seem to be doing much progress –and frankly, nor did Taym. We began to take too much damage as showers of stones distorted the Toyota’s dimensions and the Harley pressed on, barely harmed.

It was when a fist sized stone drove the left mirror off five meters in the air when Rita couldn’t take it anymore. “ENOUGH.” She furiously shrieked, breathing heavily, “Get that boy’s butt back in here! Now!”

I kept my head low as I forcefully hauled him back in, my heart beat synchronized with the constant beating. I shut my eyes hard, and crossed my fingers in hopes what Rita might be thinking wasn’t as crazy as I thought it might be – but heck was I wrong!

She vehemently pressed down on the brakes and heatedly pulled down the hand brakes releasing a piercing creek followed by a deafening thump as the Harley crashed into our rear.

The Toyota spun at least three times before it finally came to a halt.

 I listened hard.

Silence.

I rose, my head throbbing, and studied the scenario. The stench of burnt rubber reeked, the Harley was smoking from behind the pickup and thirty feet down the fields lay an outstretched body in a sleek black coat.

“Leah? Taym? You lot alright?” I heard Rita grunt as she shook off the bits and pieces of debris.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Taym and I said in unison, groaning.

 “Is he dead?” Taym said retaining his energy upon recalling the mad chase, signaling the body.

“Probably...” Rita whispered, her brow furrowed maintaining her posture before the crash, hands still on the wheel.

“No he’s not.” I said shivering, “He’s cussing. In my mind.”

“Let’s just get out of here.” Rita proclaimed stepping hard on the gas, “You two have a lot to explain.”