The Chase

Leah

 The Chase

“People! For the love of god!” Cried Rita from behind the steering wheel startling Taym and I, “Can’t you think of something to talk about?! Silence kills me, and you know it!”

The pickup shuddered as Rita yanked and tugged at the steering wheel, sending us airborne for a split second in attempt to avoid crashing into a lost cow grazing on a shrub sticking out of the cracks on the road.

“Why don’t you come up with something?” Taym jadedly said going back to gazing out the car window.

“Er… Taym, I haven’t got the slightest idea of anything about you.” I butt in.

“Uh...” He turned to face me, “Yeah... right, what d’you want to know?”

“For starters, you got any brothers? Older, preferably?” Rita shouted out, her fingers tapping on the pink fur coating the wheel.

“No, I don’t. It’s just me.” He said, “And Rick of course.”

“Right.” She sighed and tightened her grip on the wheel.

I began to absentmindedly fidget with the straps of my backpack trying to think of another thing to say. He didn’t mention his parents… There must be something up with that, but now –I didn’t think it was a good time.

“Hey, Rita, where’d you get this stuff?” Taym gently caressed the dense pink fuzz, admiring its softness, on the dashboard and signaled the steering wheel.

“This here? This, dear boy, I made on my own!” Rita boasted proudly.

“You slaughtered a pink sheep?!” Taym blurted out, laughing as we passed by flocks of them fluffy beings.

“Eh? No, ‘course not!” Rita loudly laughed, snorting a few times.

“We dyed this together!” I explained, chuckling.

“Leah, where were we going again?” My heart sank as Rita’s adrenalized cheerful voice settled.

“You’ve got to be kidding!” I snapped, “Achwick Valley, Rita! A-c-h-w-i-c-k Valley! We’ve gone over this thousands of times last night!”

“I know its Achwick Valley, you retard! But what’s next!” She snapped back.

We turned to face Taym, already flipping through the pages of his cousin’s research swiftly.

“It says we’ve got to ask for this place- Pet Care” He exclaimed, “I’m guessing it’s a veterinary clinic.”

“Well aren’t you a genius,” Rita murmured loud enough for us to hear, “What about his name? A picture? Anything?”

“Swallow. That’s his family name. Nope, no pictures.” He replied thoroughly scanning the contents of the pages.

“We’ll just compromise. I’ve got a feeling we’ll know its him when we seem him.” I confidently declared.

“You’ve got a feeling you say? Alright, whatever… so far so good, we’ve just got to find a map and- Oh finally! A gas station!” Rita exclaimed, driving into position while she pointlessly repeatedly blew the horn.

 “Im going to fill the tank, you guys go get me something to eat –I’m starving! Fetch yourselves something too,” Rita heavy-handedly said as she got out of the car, “Don’t forget the map!”

It was almost empty inside– just me, Taym, and a chubby old blonde clearly lost to the world, staring into empty space with glassy eyes, and a wide grin spread across her face multiplying the plumpness of her rosy cheeks.