Chapter 9 - Michael

Start from the beginning

The bigger three, Connor, Mason and Nathan, are old enough to do whatever they want and Dad won't object. But for whatever reason, they continue living with the rest of us and abiding by the rules Daniel and I have to. I'm not sure why they do that, but secretly, I'm a little glad. I don't know what I would do if they left.

"That's a bit harsh, darling," Mom says in my defense. "You know it's not their fault that they've never had that kind of connection here."

Dad looks at her tiredly. "I know, Brooke. But Dylan's safety has priority over that. We all know it. It's why we're all still here, because we care about you, Dyl."

I look up at him and suppress my weakening eyes. "I know, Dad. But I don't get what else you want us to do. I mean, honestly, what more canwe do? We can't really be friends with the SMP members for the same reason that Danny and I aren't friends with the humans at school."

Dad frowns in confusion for a second. "The what?"

"SMP," Connor repeats for me. "You know, the pack."

Recognition dawns on his face and smoothes his eyebrows apart. "Ah. Right. Well, nevertheless Mickey, these wolves didn't just let us live on their land for nothing. They didn't invite us to join them or you to shift with them just because they felt nice. Alpha Underwood is really trying to form ties between us."

The five of us are all confused by what Dad says.

"But why?" Daniel asks the question I know we're all thinking.

"By my guess, to respect the wishes of his predecessor," Dad tells us. "Or actually, the guy before that."

"Still, that doesn't explain why he's jumping at every chance he gets to play nice with us," Nathan comments. "I'm almost this close to being flattered, but it'd just be too weird."

My brothers snicker and I half-smile. Of course, only Nathan would say something like that at such a serious moment.

"Well then you better get used to it, because I have a feeling that- what did you call them Mickey? SMPis one very persistent pack," Dad says. This is the closest I've ever seen him get to sarcasm.

There's a moment of silence while we process that before I finally speak again. "So... what does that entail of us, exactly?"

Dad shrugs like it should be obvious. "Hang out with them. Go to their parties, do plans with them after school, have study groups if you even need it. Do things normal teenagers would do. Just don't shift with them, and don't say anything that would put Michael's secret in danger."

He makes it sound so simple, when in fact, it's anything but.

When we get to school later that day, I meet up with Sadie in the hallway, at her locker. I seek her out because I know Dad will expect us to start the friends plan right away, and Sadie's the only one I'm genuinely comfortable around so far. She's putting away her books when she sees me coming and beams at me like she has been waiting for me. It actually brightens my day a little.

"Morning!" she says in her cheerful manner.

"What's up Sadie," I say back.

"I hear you met the guys in the clearing yesterday."

I scratch the back of my head nervously. "Yeah, um, I hope they didn't take that too personally, it's just that it's still weird for us being around other..." I look around hesitantly. "You know. Others."

She flashes me a reassuring smile. "I know. I'm glad you don't have that problem with me."

I grin at her. "No offense, but you're not as intimidating as they are."