Epilogue

(2 years later)

RPOV

I woke up with a start, my breathing coming out uneven and somewhat messy. I was drenched in sweat. It was another bad dream; one of death and gore. I'd been a Strigoi. I'd been undead in this dream. But I knew it wasn't real. I knew it hadn't happened.

I shook my head and tried to clear my thoughts. What had happened had happened. I needed to get a grip. If my doctor saw that anything else was wrong with me she'd postpone my dismissal.

I'd been here two years. Two agonizing years and I had despised every minute of it. In a way I was thankful of Adrian. I knew he'd been the one to suggest this place to my mother. He'd helped me so much. But them strapping me down to a chair with limited to no contacts was not the way to do it. There wasn't even a TV in here and the walls were a bare white. I'd thought I'd go crazy.

I'd come to realize that there were worse things than Nathan. There were probably even worse Strigoi than him. But thanks to this rehabilitation thing, I knew I'd never go back to him. He'd drunk my blood. He'd taken my will. And I'd even liked it! He'd forced me to have a child with him... Alexandra I didn't regret. I might regret the process, hell I did hate the process but I loved her and if any harm came to her I'd flip.

I'd get to see her soon. In less than twenty hours I'd be back home with my family and friends. I hoped Dimitri would still want me after all this time. I still loved him. I'd always loved him and he might just be the one to get me over all of this. This place had helped me get over the larger hurdle, breaking the compulsion on me caused by the endorphins but there was more.

I could never be a guardian. I could never get a job that I'd love. Sure, Dimitri could offer to train me again but what good would that do. I wouldn't go back to high school with all those teenagers. I wasn't one anymore and there'd be whispering. The old Rose Hathaway wouldn't care. But this new one did.

And you know what I was craving most right now?

A chocolate glazed donut.

DPOV

Roza came home in July. She was quiet when she got out of the car. She told me immediately that she didn't want to talk about the center and I respected that. She asked me how everything went while she was away. How Alexa was doing if she made any friends. She jumped into my arms, kissed me and cried. My Roza had cried! She apologized for everything, causing me to roll my eyes. I changed the subject by suggesting we see her girls had been in tears. They kissed. They talked and then when the sun began to rise Roza sighed. It was time to go.

"I'll see you tomorrow okay?" She said kissing Alexa on the cheek.

"Mamma why don't' you stay here." The little girl had grown a lot since she'd come here two years ago. She now reached her mother's mid section and she'd gained some more freckles on her cheeks. She looked... healthier. And so did Rose. Rose rubbed her daughters head and smiled. She glanced at Adrian.

"This isn't my home sweetheart. I'll see you tomorrow." She thanked Adrian for everything and together we left. We were almost at my apartment building when Roza spoke.

"I'm going to let Alexa stay with Adrian." I took both of her hands causing her to stop walking.

"She's your daughter. She should live with you." Roza shook her head but smiled.

"It's up to her. But I'd prefer her not move around so much. Adrian's done too much for her already. She's attached to him." I did understand. I kissed her once again and trailed her cheek bone with my hand.

"Are we going to change?" I asked in a whisper. "It's been eleven years." Rose put a finger to my lips.

"Comrade," She giggled grabbing the collar of my shirt and pulling me into her. "I just got you back. If anything I being gone has brought us closer." She rested her other hand on my chest and traced her finger down my torso giving me chills. "It's you and me Comrade. Forever and always."