Chapter 12

Underneath the echoes
Buried in the shadows
There you were
Drowning into your mystery
I was just beginning
To see your ghost
But you must know

I'll be here waiting
Hoping praying that
This light will guide you home
When you're feeling lost
I'll leave my love hidden in the sun
For when darkness comes

I'll be here waitingHoping praying thatThis light will guide you homeWhen you're feeling lost I'll leave my love hidden in the sunFor when darkness comes

_____

"You closed her into a room full of boggarts?" Slughorn shouted incredulous. He just came back to the castle and was shocked to hear about that accident.

Professor Merrythought tried to appear smaller and innocent. She looked down, speechless, since her mistake was discovered and all her coworkers scolded her.

Susan was just indifferent to anything. Tom had taken her to the infirmary to make her get some sleeping potions that allowed her to have some rest.

She was deaf to all the rumours about what happened to her. Nobody knew for sure, except Tom.

Amongst the teachers, the most infuriated was Dumbledore, but she didn't care to think of the reason.

She felt numb to all the offers to help her, but the damage was done and there was nothing that could delete it. Dumbledore even suggested deleting those memories but she refused.

She survived to that once, so she could survive a second time.

All that she cared about was that she needed to express her gratitude to Tom, the only one who knew how to support her.

For few weeks she even became less active during classes, but teachers didn't dare to provoke her nor to lower her grades, and avoided the other students, who feeling uneasy gave her the peace she was looking for.

Time made people forgot about it and healed the wounds, leaving scars deep into her heart.

An advantage from her bad experience came for the first trips to Hogsmeade. Her useless grandmother didn't signed for her allowance, but the headmaster signed it for her together with Tom's one.

Few rewards, when she was simply numb to everything else.
Except Tom.
Once she found herself spying on him talking to a Ravenclaw girl she barely knew. She shouldn't have felt troubled, he was free to talk to anyone, but she couldn't help.

"He's cold and distant towards everyone, except you" Ophelia commented maybe guessing her thoughts "Just when he needs something he acts differently, you know that better than me".
"So you say he's using me?".
"I don't know. How can I know? I can't read his mind".
"He's an unsolvable riddle to you as much as to me" Susan replied bitterly.
"Fitting name. Even Lestrange and the other boys complain that they can't get to him. We can just respect him and letting him alone".

Unwillingly Susan became cold to him, but he seemed not troubles for he was so taken by his researches.

One surprise came when her childhood friend Tess came to meet her.
"I heard of what happened to you. We didn't talk much lately. I just wanted to tell you, that if you want to talk or do something together we can plan something, as in old times".