Chapter 4

We walked to the front door of the institute, and all three of them stopped, getting out what looked like a metal pen, with a glowing end. They all proceeded to hold it over their skin, a mark appearing underneath it. Their skin sizzled at the touch.

"What the hell is that?", I asked, eyes wide, as I watched Jace practically burn himself.

"It's a stele. We use it to draw our runes. They can make you invisible, stronger, and so on. You'll learn.".

"So, what, you're invisible now?".

Izzy nodded. "When you could see us, that night in the parking lot, we knew you weren't a mundane."

"A munda-"

"Human.", Alec cut in, getting impatient. "Can we go?".

We walked through the doors, revealing a darkened city outside. "Okay, so why can't I put a "rune" on, then?".

"We're not sure what you are yet. The runes could kill you.", Izzy answered.

"Of course.", I nodded along, walking with them.

"What happens if a human gets... runed?", I asked.
"They die. Or they go crazy. We call them the Forsaken. And then, we kill them.", Iz chuckled.

"Sure.", I let out, my head swirling.

And sure enough, as we passed the New York crowd, I was the only one getting strange looks because of my revealing outfit, no one noticed the three weapon-bearing fighters.

After about ten minutes, and my skills with the New York subway system, we exited the underground station in Brooklyn.
"Absolutely hate those subway things.", Jace muttered, getting outside. I let out a chuckle, at which he glared.

"All right. Magnus Bane's lair is over there.", Alec pointed at a warehouse that looked seemingly deserted.

I followed without a word, but getting slightly nervous. What if this Magnus person couldn't tell me what I was? My thoughts were cut off, when we entered the warehouse.

"This doesn't look very residential.", I let out.

"Warlock glamour.", Jace muttered, getting two blades out, and handing me one. The glow immediately changed to red. He looked at it for a second, his eyes narrowed, before turning slightly. "Stay cautious, I've got a bad feeling.".

"Well, that's reassuring.", I muttered, staying behind him.

Just then, a noise made us look up. A man was standing in a distance, stabbing another one in the back, and tossing him down a platform.

"The Circle found Magnus!", Izzy let out, her whip ready. Alec fired an arrow at the man, making him tumble down as well.

"Lia, stay with Alec-", Jace called. "Izzy, with me.", with that, the two of them disappeared down the hall, and I followed Alec in the other direction. We entered a corridor, and Alec raised his bow shooting at two men charging towards us.

"Stay behind me.", he let out, jogging down the hallway. Room after room, Alec shot down man after man. There were other people there too, some of them on the ground. They looked different, dressed in flamboyant clothing, their foreheads, lips or ears deformed, making their faces look absolutely beautiful, in the strangest of ways. We passed them, getting deeper and deeper into the residence.

As we entered another room, I felt a grip on my bare shoulder. Immediately, a bad feeling surged through me, the image of a bald man popping into my head. Only for a second, and I heard a name. Clear and loud, as if someone spoke it in my ear.