'maybe they sing because it stops the pain' she wonders. So she did just that, and she sung a song she has grown to love.

*song is above or on the side*

"Why you wanna fly blackbird?" she lightly croons to herself as she felt the wind start to pick up.

"You ain't never gonna fly." The wind whipped through her hair causing goosebumps to arise on her almost bare shoulders. But she ignore it. The song consumed her, just like she thought it would.

As she continued to sing louder and louder, the climate of the weather declined. Soon she felt her bare legs shaking and her teeth clatter. Her song was no longer gracefully falling from her lips up to the heavens. It began to freeze and tumble down to her toes.

She wanted to head back inside the cabin to seek for the warmth she was destined to find. Yet it was never within those thin sheets between Colis and her mama. She was not satisfied.

She lifts up her head and looks over at the big house with pleading eyes. 'I wonder if there is something warm in there for me' she bites her bottom lip.

She felt drawn to the house. The house was seducing her, calling her to go towards it because there was warmth in there waiting just for her.

"Miss Darcy Orage, you're slacking doll." The words of her brother breaks her from her trance and she quickly mutter an apology.

"Don't say sorry to me sweets, you ain't do nothin wrong. That's a pretty house there ain't it?" Colis kneels down to reach his sister's height and points at the big tall house.

"Yes, can we go there?" Colis notices a  spark of hope rise in Darcy's green irises and he can't help but let his heart break at the sight.

"No doll, you don't wanna be over there. That's where the Styles live. And believe me they don't want us folks over there unless they need something." He avoids looking in her eyes and grabs the cotton from her fingers to rest it down on her little pile.

"Us folks? Why not Col?" She looks at her brother confused and runs a hand through her unruly hair.

"Well," Colis begins and diverts his attention to the cotton shrubs and grabs one.

"Ya see here, what color is this Darc?"

"Uh um." Darcy presses her chubby forefinger to her chin.

"Come on think doll, think. Just like we practiced." Colis urges Darcy.

"White!" She exclaims.

"Thatta girl, now, what color is this." He grabs her hand and points to her skin. That one was easy to her, "brown duh" she rolls her eyes at Colis.

"Now listen closely, the Styles represents these shrubs of cotton. And what does the cotton do when you try to pick it up?"

"It's hurts me"

"Exactly, now imagine that walking through the door of that big house is like walking straight through the cotton. How would that feel?" He utters with a small smile.

"It will hurt a lot" Darcy shutters at the idea and takes her hand from Colis to attempt to warm up forearms.

"Yes it will doll and do you want to get hurt?"

"No Col" she replies, "okay then doll. So don't think about that house over there. Just continue to keep pickin that cotton" Colis smiles at his little sister. Ever since she was born he always viewed her as a little doll. If she falls, she will shatter, if she shatters, Colis will die.

"Will you s-stay next t-to me and w-work?" Darcy stutters as the wind nearly knocked her over.

Colis quickly embraces the curly headed girl to deliver some heat.

"Anything for you, doll" they both smile at each other. Their connection was deeper than no other. Even with the cold, bitterness in the air, their love will always be warm.

Darcy jumps excitedly. She wants to prove to her big brother that she is a big girl but when she realizes what she had to do she glared at the shrub and pokes out her bottom lip. Colis chuckles as he nudges her shoulder lightly. Still on his knees he began to pick alongside her. Both of them began singing Blackbird together in perfect harmony.

-
Later that night Darcy sat outside that cabin humming to herself. She was content. Her frizzy curly hair kept her neck warm as the wind threatens her skin.

She gasps as something light pinches her nose. Her eyes open wide and quickly looks up to the sky.

'It's happening again! Cold little baby cotton is falling from the sky!' she thought. She jumped around with glee and spun in the cold all by herself.

Oh how much she loved the snow. Her bare feet ached as stepped on many rocks and twigs, yet she couldn't feel any better.

This feeling was short lived when her giggles were cut off by the sound of a distant gunshot echoing off the trees. Not too far from the fields. She turns her head to the direction of the sound. The gunshot cracked into the air, breaking the peaceful flutters of the falling snow.  The sound shook Darcy, it was as loud as thunder without the raw power and strength of a storm.

The door to the cabin forcefully swings open.

"Darcy!" Mama screams as her baggy eyes look for her daughter frantically. Darcy looks back confused but runs back to mommy and embraces her in a hug.

Mommy sighs as she presses Darcy's head to her chest in relief. Darcy forces her head away and her nosy gaze scans the area. That's when she noticed a little boy, skin light as the little cotton falling from the sky being shielded in his mothers thigh. He felt the intrusion of wandering eyes and looked in her direction. He pushes away from his mothers thigh and he is entranced in the sudden eye contact.

What he saw wasn't much to the naked eye, just the little girl and her mama standing out in the white snow. Yet something he felt was much deeper about what he saw. Her eyes, matched his and held something deeper and darker behind them.

"Come on Harold lets get inside." Mother urges her five year old son back into that extravagant white house.

Darcy's mama lets out a shaky sigh. "Darcy lets go." But before giving her the chance to walk, mama picks up her baby girl to bring her in the cabin.

Little did the two know, Harry stood watch at the window. Quickly getting rid of the fog that gathered up annoyingly. He was curious. He wanted to see what was in the little brown house from across the fields.

"Harry move from the window!" His older sister Gemma scolds tugging his arm before shutting the blinds. Without further explanation, she walks away.

Harry sat there flustered. He knew it was going to snow, he heard his mother and father complaining about it. He didn't see the problem. Actually, ever since he saw those eyes, all he wanted was to play in the snow with the little girl across the field. And secretly he wished that's what she wanted too.

________
Aren't they cute?!
Vote if you wanna
Comment if you wanna
Dedicated to haroldvintage & neyhey_harry

*so I am writing through my phone because I'm too lazy to grab my laptop so bear with me if there are any mistakes lol