C- Closet

CLOSET (Or how that conversation in COG went down)

⭐️

When Alec had first heard Magnus use the term 'closeted' to describe his situation, he'd laughed, because he was a shadowhunter, and shadowhunters weren't scared of anything.
He'd been proven wrong by Clary Fray and her fearless rune; Magnus had told him what he had been about to do, and though he should have been grateful, he'd sulked.

Magnus was upset at him, he knew, because he thought that Alec was embarrassed. And truthfully, Alec was. He was embarrassed to not be able to open his mouth and let the words come out.
It would be so nice, he thought, to just let everything be out in the open.

But every time he thought about it, he could see the disappointed looks on his parents' faces and hear them tell him that he wasn't good enough to be their son. If only he were more like Jace, he wouldn't care so much about what they thought, and would have the courage to do it anyway without a rune. If he were more like Jace, he thought, he wouldn't have fallen for Magnus Bane.

It was only then, in the rush of preparation for war that he decided that if he were going to die, he would die next to the man he had grown to love. He had marched over to Magnus before the warlock could slink away and asked him to be his partner for the battle.
Magnus had stuck his hand out gingerly, accepting the rune that Alec had begun to draw on his hand. "Your people are everywhere," he had said, "are you sure you want to be seen with me as your partner?"
The careful way he phrased it had made Alec suddenly realise how good Magnus had been to him, how he had never pushed him, and wasn't pushing him even now. Finishing the rune he said carefully; "If I die here, today, I want to die next to you."
Magnus had said nothing, eyes open in surprise.

It was at that point that Alec realised that this might be his last conversation with Magnus, and threw all caution to the wind. Right there, in front of all the Clave and his family, he flung his arms around Magnus and kissed him full on the mouth.
He remembered that Magnus had frozen for the first few moments, before evidently coming to the same conclusion and kissing him back with a fever he hadn't felt before. If I were to die today, he thought, this isn't a bad last memory.

They hadn't died, in a stroke of luck, and Alec hadn't even seen his parents until the party, not that had had been avoiding them. Magnus was happier than Alec had seen in months, joking with his friends and teasing Alec about his terrible jumpers, but holding a hand to the small of his back reassuringly.
Clary had gone to find Jace, who wasn't actually her brother as it turned out, and Izzy was flirting with an oblivious Simon, and Alec could see his parents talking to Luke and Jocelyn.
Steeling himself, he took Magnus' hand firmly.

"I want you to meet my parents." He said.
Magnus raised an eyebrow. "We've met?" Alec looked at him. "Oh- oh. You don't have to, if you don't want to."
"I want to." Alec said, surprising himself. "I don't want any more secrets."

Magnus was beaming the whole walk over to Maryse and Robert Lightwood, proud of Alec. They turned to look at the two of them, noting their held hands.
"Mum, Dad," Alec said, "I'd like you to meet Magnus Bane. My boyfriend."
Mayrse looked like she had been waiting for this moment, but smiled warmly at Magnus, taking his hand in her own.
Robert seemed colder, but all the same shook Magnus' hand and made conversation for several minutes. Even though he could tell that they weren't delighted by the prospect of him dating their son, Magnus didn't care what the Lightwoods thought. He was just happy that Alec was holding his hand for everyone to see.

⭐️

Sorry this is such a short chapter everyone, I reread COG to refresh my memory and ended up rereading the entire series. Whoops.
Vote and Comment!
HolyHephaestus
X