Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Maryanne had one goal and that was getting her and Annalise the hell out of that house. As suspected her parents invited Danny to stay for dinner and she had a strong gut feeling he was going to use that sit down as his platform to tell the truth about Annalise. Of course he’d admit he was the father but he’d lie sugary sweet about how she was conceived. He’d manage to convince her parents it was consensual even though she was only fourteen at the time.

She could remember every little detail about that first day Danny ruined her life. She had been playing soccer on the church’s team. It was something her father had come up with for all the teenage girls to interact and gain a sense of value, he had said.

Being the minister’s daughter she had to participate but after one practice session she was hooked. She liked to run and playing soccer gave her the chance to run and learn some new tricks.

She returned home after one of the team mom’s dropped her off to find her parents were out and Danny was going to stay with her until they returned. “They went to pay Mrs. Peters a visit at the hospital.” He explained.

Maryanne had known Mrs. Peters was battling cancer and it was nice of her parents to offer company. She hadn’t been scared to stay with Danny, he was always such a nice guy and her father’s favorite student, a reason she thought she could trust him.

“How was the game?” he asked as they moved into the kitchen.

“I scored twice.” Maryanne was tired but still bouncing with energy. “I think we can beat the Baptist girls on Sunday.”

“That’s good. We’re all rooting for you.”

Maryanne finished her bottle of water before excusing herself to go take a shower. It was about fifteen minutes after she was done washing away all the sweat and grass stains form the field and washing out her hair. After drying off, still in the bathroom, she changed into fresh comfortable clothes.

Back inside her bedroom she hung up her towel as Danny stepped into the room.

Maryanne shook her head and tried not to remember what he had done. Thinking back to all those painful details would only waste valuable time and make her wish for something to numb the memories.

Instead she thought of Jensen. It was so nice to spend all that time with him without having to hide who she really was deep down. She never once walked on egg shells while they were at his father’s cabin. He saw her in some of her worst moments and still stuck around. It wasn’t fair that he hadn’t found a girl willing to take a chance on him, that they always saw his outer appearance and missed out at his wonderful soul.

She smiled faintly as she remembered how he had called her beautiful and it hadn’t been to take something from her or want anything in return.

“Ok baby girl, it’s time to make our move.” She finished strapping Annalise into her car seat. Ten minutes earlier she had packed them both a bag after Danny went to check in with her parents. He always knew exactly what to do to keep them from being suspicious.

As softly as she could Maryanne threw her and Anna’s bags out the window, the whole time her heart was in her throat as she prayed no one inside the house had noticed. Getting Annalise out the window was trickier and a danger she’d never take unless she was desperate. Her arm burned as she held Annalise’s car seat and carefully maneuvered them out the window and down the gutter.

She didn’t allow herself to breathe until they were securely in the car and driving down the street. The grasp of strength she used to get free from that prison masking its self as a loving home left her drained. Her tears ran free no matter how she tried to fight them.

Jensen was sweeping up when his cousin came into the shop. “Working hard or hardly working?” Nate teased with a boyish grin.

“A little of both. What brings you to my lair?” he stood the broom back up in the corner and motioned for Nate to join him. At the moment he had no clients to tend and Miles wouldn’t mind if he had some company anyway.

“We never got to talk.” Nate reminded him. “I know Maryanne told you the truth about us and I’m glad she did.”

“Is that what you wanted to tell me?”

“Yeah, I felt bad you were beating yourself up for befriending her. I know it sounds strange to pretend to date someone---”

“No, I get it. If all the girls found out you were single you’d have to beat them off with a stick. I wouldn’t know anything about that but I get why you’d want to avoid the drama.” Jensen shrugged and saved his cousin the trouble of having to explain something that wasn’t really any of Jensen’s business anyway. He tried to ignore the relief he felt to know Nate and Maryanne had never been more than friends.

“Thanks, you always have a way of making everything simpler. I wish mom was like that.”

“She is a bit of a drama queen.” Jensen cringed. “I’m glad I got the low key doesn’t give a crap too much mom.”

“Maybe if you got the uppity mom you wouldn’t be so hard up for a date.” Nate’s face turned red as he tried not to laugh at his own taunt.

“Ouch. I might have to kick your ass for that one.”

“I’m joking!” Nate held his hands out in surrender before Jensen made good on his promise.

“Better be.” They shared a quick laugh that was interrupted by the sound of his cellphone going off. “Give me a second.” Jensen turned in his chair and answered the call. “Hello?” he didn’t use one of his sarcastic inappropriate greetings because he saw from the caller ID it was Maryanne. He glanced at the clock above the door and saw it was pretty late for her to be calling on a school night. He hoped her parents had given her too much of a rough time for not coming home yesterday.

“I know after everything you’ve done I shouldn’t be calling but….” Her words died off, she was trying to hide it but he heard her crying on the other line.

The sound of her hurting brought a painful ache to his chest. “Where are you?”

“Across the street. I saw you with Nate and I don’t want him to know something is wrong.” Her need to protect Nate from her darkness was strong. Jensen wished she’d let Nate in, maybe as her best friend he could be better help.

Jensen felt lost but mixed in with that was a very strong need to help her no matter what. “Give me a second.” he stood from his chair and offered a small smile to his cousin who was asking a few questions with his eyes. “A client asking a few questions.” He lied as he stepped away down the hall to use Miles’ office. “Go to the cabin, do you remember how to get there?”

“Yeah.”

“There’s a spare key hidden in a shallow pile of dirt by the porch. I’ll meet you there later. Please don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

“I have Annalise with me and I won’t use with her around.” some of her sadness lifted as fire took its place, a fire to stay clean and the love for her child.

“Good, that’s good. I’ll get out of here as soon as I can.” He hung up and took a moment to breath. He couldn’t get the sound of her voice out of his head and as it replayed he realized she had been scared. She hadn’t been upset by her parents or trying to fend off her cravings, there had been blinding terrible fear in her voice. Something strong enough that she took Annalise and ran.

Jensen was almost knocked out by the need flooding his system, the need to get to them and protect them from whatever darkness was looming.

He shoved his phone back in his pocket and tried to come up with a lie as he went to join Nate back at his work station. He fell into his seat. “I’m not a very good liar.” He frowned as he realized that.

“You’re more the brutally honest type of guy. What’s going on?” Nate was a smart guy who knew how to put one and one together and made two.

Jensen met his cousin’s warm caring eyes and made up his mind. “Maryanne is in some trouble.”