Chapter 34 - Say Something

Start from the beginning

"I'm better," I finally deemed an appropriate answer, given the time frame and my state.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

My eyes flickered up to Natsu, who had eased his way into the chair. He placed his crutch on the floor, then looked up at me. Quickly, his eyes met mine, then glanced elsewhere. 

"How do you feel?" my voice cracked, breaking the awkward feeling of him listening to my heart.

His shoulders shrugged, dragging his dreary hospital gown up with him. It was so weird seeing him in something so plain and, quite frankly, menacing. You're only in hospital gowns if you get admitted, and if you get admitted, it means they couldn't fix you with only magic, which means you were probably dying.

And now both of us were in hospital gowns.

"Any pain anywhere?" his onyx eyes had landed on the wall behind me.

"Just a general stiff feeling, I think."

Awkward silence took control of the situation. I could hear his breathing. He could hear my heart rate monitor beeping. I could feel it speed up as I stared at him.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

"I don't regret it," I stated, lifting my IV arm and placing it gently on my lap, looking over the damage it had to repair over these past few days, "I would do it again in a heartbeat."

He chuckled darkly, "No you wouldn't."

"You can't say that about me. If I had the chance to save y- everyone from some sick bastards I would take the chance all over again. I took a risk, and I knew it could be last."

"No, because there won't be any more risks. This one was enough. This pain, your going to feel it forever now. You're going to wake up screaming randomly dreaming of the things they did," he challenged, gaze glued to the floor.

"I think I can decide for myself what risks I-"

"Goddammit there won't be any more! I won't let there be anymore!" he roared, his slits for eyes digging into my own; scales covered his cheek bones. Fear vaguely crossed my heart. Adrenaline began to course yet again.

He blinked, shaking his head and taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry. Sometimes those memories get the best of me."

I stuttered out, "Natsu... Your eyes. They... And your cheeks..." 

Silence filled the air yet again. I could almost hear his brain rattling for an answer. Did he even know what just happened?

"Blood rage," he finally spoke, "Happens when I get really upset. Only sometimes though."

My eyebrow raised, "Over a memory?"

"Memories can be more powerful than the event itself."

Natsu POV

I almost did it again. I almost lost control. I could've killed her. 

"What do you remember from that day then?" Lucy pushed me. 

I remembered nothing, except the way she fell, gold dust spiraling around her as she met my eyes and whispered, "I love you."

"Nothing. It's all a blur."

"That's a lie."

"Try me."

The tension in the room was beginning to become a thick fog, covering the both of us in lies.

"Natsu?" she whispered, her voice meek, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm okay."

"Are you upset I'm the one whose hurt and not you? Look, like I said what I did was choice. You couldn't have stopped me."