07 | THE DISTRESS FROM GRIEF

The funeral came and passed in a long-lived hour. The Taylors were surrounded and scrutinized by their father's family; aunts, uncles and grandparents they hadn't seen in years.

The extended Taylors didn't approve of Mari and Rodney's passion for children and had disowned them in the early years. But, magically, they had attended the funeral, for the son or brother they had lost.

Mari kept her children close and didn't interact once with Rodney's family. Zoe stuck to Pete like glue and wouldn't leave him for anything. Her eyes were red and moist and about to fall out every other second.

During the ceremony, Mari was haunted. She was pondering and sifting through her worries and decisions she would need to make soon.

So, when the whole family returned to Mari's house, she sat them all down at the dining table to talk.

Zoe slid up behind Pete and tucked herself into his lap, not particularly happy that her mother had orchestrated such a rare meeting. They had only ever had two; the first to announce that Mari was going back to work as a vet, the second to spread the news of Poppy Ted's death. They were both over five years ago.

Now all eight children sat at the table with their mother, torn between dread and excitement. Mari had told them nothing other than it was urgent.

"Alright," Mari cleared her throat as her conversation starter. She was nervous of her children's reactions to her decision. "I don't feel safe having Zoe at school anymore, so I'm pulling her out for the time being."

Zoe was so shocked, she was silent.

"I can't afford to quit work and I won't have any more of my children taking time off work or school," Mari said. She was finding it easier to stare at the table than at her kids. "So, Nana Lou is going to stay with us for a while to look after Zoe when no one's home."

Zoe couldn't believe what she was hearing. She wasn't allowed to go to school anymore? Why? And Nana Lou? Nana Lou had her morals and culture set in stone and was always disapproving of modern technologies and life-styles. It was always a nightmare when Mari's mother came to stay and all the children hated it.

"Mum!" Zoe whined. "I want to go to school! My friends are there!" Zoe loathed her mother's new idea and was determined to let her know. "I'm still going!"

"Zoe!" Mari was horrified at how her daughter's attitude had grown. "You're not going anymore and that's final!" Mari's clenched fist slammed down on the table and made everyone jump. She was losing her patients, fast.

"Mum," Ava tried to reason. "I though Zoe was doing fine at school?" Ava, like the rest of her siblings, had though Zoe was a happy, successful child at school.

"She was," Mari started vaguely. "She's been getting attacks a lot in sport and the principal's been pushing for me to put her in a special school. Zoe's school doesn't have the resources or experience to look after her properly. So, until we find a better school, she'll be under Nana Lou's care."

Zoe got tears in her eyes. She hadn't known that. She didn't want to go to a special school.

A hiccup merged with a sob escaped her lips before she could slam them shut. Hollie reached over and squeezed her arm.

"I'm sorry, Zo," Pete whispered in her ear.

"Zoe hasn't been eating her lunch at school either," Bella said so quietly that any outside sound would have carried it away. But it was so silent in the dining room that everyone heard it.

"Shut up!" Zoe spluttered. Bella had promised not to tell anyone; Zoe knew it would only make her family worry.

Zoe leaned out of Pete's arm and punched Bells shoulder as hard as she could. A frown had taken over Zoe's face.