8. Chance Encounter

I'm not afraid to admit it: I am a huge fan of Smallville. I watched all ten seasons, and two of my favorite characters from it were Lex and Lionel Luthor, played brilliantly by Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover. So when I wrote this story for a short story challenge, I didn't hesitate to bring the Luthors into the Nolanverse. So the image of Rosenbaum's Lex sharing a drink with Bale's Bruce Wayne over their mutual distaste for Lionel was a pleasure to write.

     Bruce hated these functions, but Alfred said it was necessary to keep up his cover more now that Batman was wanted by police. More time as Bruce Wayne meant that the Bat was less likely to be spotted and apprehended. It was another charity dinner, and while the meal was all right, drinks and mingling was always interesting. This dinner was even more intriguing because there were financial super powers from all over the country there to show their love and open their wallets for a good cause.

     Bruce was standing there and listening to a few people talk about the housing market in Gotham when someone tapped him on the shoulder, "Mr. Wayne, so nice to see you again. I'm not sure you remember me but..."

     "I always remember the names of the men who attempt hostile takeovers of my company, Mr. Luthor." Bruce quickly replied.

     "Please," the man said with a cocky grin. "Call me Lionel. And don't take it personally because I was a little 'aggressive' in my pursuit of your holdings in Wayne Enterprises. I hold nothing but the highest respect for your father so you should consider it a compliment that I wanted to bring your company into the Luthor fold."

     "Like we don't have enough sheep already," someone said from behind them both with a snide hint of sarcasm. The young man was completely bald but was only a few years older than Bruce.

     "I'm sorry... I don't believe we've met." Bruce said.

     "No you haven't," Lionel confirmed. "Mr. Wayne, this is my son Lex Luthor. Lex, this is Bruce Wayne of Wayne Enterprises."

     "I've heard of you but never had the honor," Lex said, extending his hand to Bruce, "It's nice to finally meet you."

     Bruce shook Lex's hand. "The pleasure is mine."

     "If you'll excuse me," Lionel said, as something else had captured his attention, "Excuse me, Mr. Mayor..."

     As quickly as he had started the conversation, Lionel parted and started rubbing elbows with Gotham's political elite.

     "You'll have to excuse my father. He's like a shark and politics draws him like blood in the water." Lex coldly chided.

     "The man knows how to get around a room. I usually just make an appearance and bolt for the door." Bruce replied.

     "I hear you." Lex agreed, "What a waste of work time. Just take the cheque and see you next year."

     "At least the drinks are free," Bruce observed.

     "They better be for what we pay," Lex chided, and then his mood lightened, "By the way, nice work fending off the takeover. It's been a long time since someone stood to Lionel like that."

     "Thanks but it was really nothing."

     "Don't be so modest!" Lex exclaimed, playfully slapping Bruce on the shoulder. "I actually enjoyed Lionel's reaction when he realized the takeover had failed; a true Kodak moment."

     They both had a good laugh at the thought.

     "How long do you plan to stay in Gotham?" Bruce asked.

     "We're in town for about a week." Lex answered.

     "We should do lunch," Bruce suggested, "Discuss business over more drinks."

     "I'd like that," Lex agreed, "I'll have our people set something up."

     "Just do me a favor and leave the old man behind."

     "Amen to that." Lex said, in full agreement.

     They both tapped glassed and toasted to their future encounter.