•Chapter Twelve• Gift for Three

Chills ran down Kathryn's spine, though they had little to do with the wind that billowed around the pillar where she, William, and Charles all sat. The voice that had spoken to the three of them had no visible physical form, and she couldn't quite picture a person that would match its whimsical melody. It weaved up and down like a piece of thread through cloth, manipulated by an elegant hand embroidering a design that was beautiful in simplicity.

Want to see something? sang the voice.

"Do you guys hear that?" said William, his voice at a yell.

"Yeah!" she screamed back. "I've been hearing that voice since the wind started."

"Really?" asked Charles.

"That was the first time I heard it," said Will, still at a yell.

Though Kathryn thought it odd that she had been the only one to hear the voice from the beginning, now wasn't the time to dwell on it. The spiraling winds still threatened to blow them off the edge of the pillar they perched upon.

"Listen, voice in the sky, we'll hear what you have to say," Kathryn shouted. "Just stop this damn wind!"

The laugh of the disembodied voice was like the abrupt clatter of china as it meets the floor.

But of course, Your Highness.

All at once, the gale billowing around them died. One moment Kathryn feared she would be tossed off the stone, the next, nothing but a light breeze passed by. She shivered. What could this voice possibly have to show them?

"Do either of you have a damn clue what the hell is going on?" asked Charles.

"Not in the slightest," said Kathryn.

At the same time, William said, "Nope."

"I guess we'll find out soon enough." muttered Kathryn.

She then turned her gaze to the sky, feeling more than a little ridiculous.

"Hey!" she shouted. "Disembodied voice thing! What's going on?!"

No need to shout, loves. I can hear you just fine.

The voice rippled through her, invading her mind in an uncomfortable way that Kathryn had never experienced.

"So..." started William.

Shhhhhh William...in due time

"How in hell do you know my name?" shouted William.

Now what did I just say about shouting? You're hurting my ears.

And again rang that bell of a laugh, a childlike tone with a ring of sinister foreboding.

Get it? Cause I haven't got ears anymore?

"I think we need to get the hell out of here," whispered Charles.

You know however loud you speak, I can still hear you. And I think not. You won't be leaving just yet.

"Like hell we won't!" yelled William.

What say you, Princess Kathryn of Maelden? Will you be leaving with your gentlemen friends?

This time the voice spoke only to her.

The words were magnified in her head, bouncing around with frantic reverberations and stealing the breath from her lungs in an instant. Pins and needles ran across her palms. The world around her faded out of view, blurring and blackening slowly, then snapping back into focus.

She was glad she wasn't standing, because if she had been, she surely would have fallen.

"Are you alright, Kathryn?" said William, voice laced with concern and alarm.

"I'm...fine.." she managed to get out, shivering at the nausea that grew in her stomach.

"You sure?" asked Charles.

Kathryn nodded quickly. "I want to hear whatever this creepy voice has to say. And why it's chosen now to speak to me, after all these years."

You are of age.

"I am not," she said. "I'm only sixteen! I don't come of age for another two years!"

Ah, humans. So silly. You are of age in the terms of the fae, my darling. You are one of the Chosen.

"Fae? What?" said Charles. If he hadn't been there himself, hearing the voice in his own head, he wouldn't have believed it.

"Chosen?" said Kathryn, letting out a scoff. "Chosen for what, exactly?"

I'm afraid you'll have to find that out for yourself. But I can give you a little gift!

"Fine. Whatever," said Kathryn.

"You know, Kathryn, I'm not so sure this is a good idea..." Will said, trailing off. He wanted to say more, but he couldn't describe the unease he was feeling.

"Well, if we die, at least we aren't all alone," said Kathryn with a laugh.

Despite brushing it off, a small ember of unease had ignited within her. Her instincts told her that this voice was no liar, and that she should hear it out.

Don't be so dramatic. I won't be killing you.

"So, you going to tell us what all of this is about?" William asked.

Hold hands.

"What?" questioned the three in unison.

I'm getting impatient. Just do as I say.

Kathryn sighed, grabbing Will and Charles's hands. After a moment of hesitation, they also took hold of each other's hands.

As soon as the circle was complete, a slight breeze began to swirl around them. She squeezed the boys' hands, bracing herself in case the rough winds that had swirled earlier returned.

"What's happening?" wondered Charles.

Kathryn replied, "I was about to ask the same."

All in due time.

As they stood, the wind did not intensify as it had earlier, but remained a steady breeze, weaving through them.

A wave of dizziness overtook the trio.

The three remained steady and on her feet, anchored by the hands holding their own, but they all felt as if they may collapse.

A low keening filled their ears, steadily growing louder.

The disembodied voice spoke at a whisper, but the words echoed through their heads, ricocheting off their skulls with the force of a yell.

Fates intertwined,

the path of three,

when three unite,

then three can see.

Then everything faded into nothing. 

A/N: Hello! Yes, I know it has been forever...I'm so terrible. I've been working on revising and reworking the beginning of this story as well as my other story (Fyra! Haven't updated that in forever either, I'm so sorry) and so actually moving forward has been a bit of a challenge.  

Well,  since you're read this far, thanks so much for sticking with me! I'd appreciate any feedback you have! :D