•Chapter Four• Louisa Arianna

Kathryn relaxed as she finally found solace from the constant barrage of suitors and women of society. She sighed, turning to see a girl, who couldn't have been older than eight, peeking over a table. A smile found her face, and she walked over to the table, joining her on the side that faced a wall. The little girl wore a periwinkle gown, and she looked both fearful and exhilarated.

"Are you hiding?" Kathryn whispered. Hiding during a ball seemed like something she would do at this girls age. Or any age.

The girl nodded her head vigorously.

"From whom?"

"My governess. And my mum. Mother wouldn't let me come without that old batty lady." The girl's nose wrinkled, and she added, "I'm Aria."

"I'm Kathryn."

Aria tired to face the elder princess. "Are you hiding?"

"Sort of."

Aria looked over the table once more. "Everyone is always hiding from someone."

Kathryn nodded. It did seem like she would always have to hide herself from the world, though this little girl had probably meant literal hiding.

Out of nowhere, Aria squealed, ducking under the tablecloth.

"What is it? Did your governess see you?"

"Just my brother. I don't think he'll tell though."

"Where is your brother?" Kathryn asked.

"Next to that potted plant."

Following Aria's example, she looked towards the potted plant she knew lay parallel from the table. Kathryn crouched down again before he turned in this direction.

The only person standing within proximity of the pot was the very prince that she had danced with earlier this evening. The prince who hadn't even recognized her from one unfortunate previous encounter.

"William is your elder brother?" Kathryn whispered in surprise. That meant this little girl had to be Louisa Arianna, the young princess of Dwolle, who apparently preferred to be called Aria.

"You know him?" Asked Aria, smiling.

Kathryn laughed lightly. "I do."

Aria laughed with her, but stopped when she noticed a rather severe woman with a tight bun striding to the table, wearing an expression of extreme annoyance. "That's Mrs. M! I have to go!"

Aria sped off, and her tutor walked after the girl, trying to appear dignified. Luckily, the harsh looking woman hadn't seen Kathryn stand and walk in the opposite direction, hoping that Aria had managed to escape.

She had barely taken two steps before she stopped, avoiding a collision with her mother, who, as it seemed, had been looking for her.

"Kathryn! Where on earth have you been!" True to fashion, she whispered the words with a touch of concern, but primarily annoyance.

Kathryn opened her mouth to protest as the queen pulled her by the arm over to a group of young ladies. At the center of the group was a young man, who looked slightly ill at ease in his current situation.