The Actual Ability

Okay, so let's make the actual ability now!

WAIT WOAH WHO WHY WHAT HUUUUUH?!?!

Yeah, it's probably not going to be that easy. But let's start within a Nen type and work off from there!

Though technically, you can learn any ability from any type (Specialists aside). If something is done by Nen, any Nen user can learn it, as Wing said. But if it's not from within your category, than can lead to squandering one's potential and talent, and other bad things like "running out of memory". 

But I'll just toss out some Manipulator ideas and advice first! Just check out a couple ideas here or look at some in the anime for a guideline or crutch. Looking at other anime for inspiration also sounds like a plan.

If the object a Manipulator is manipulating is important and precious to the Manipulator it usually gives a better response. For example, I've been playing piano since I was a wee little child, so music is pretty much a part of my life. An obvious ability would be playing a song and any listener could be a candidate for manipulation, but there are other things too that are more portable and efficient. I would prefer not to lug a piano everywhere ^^;

Like a metronome, for example. Anyone listening can be manipulated and you can control their actions by perhaps speeding the metronome or slowing it down. Metronome's kinda have a creepy or mysterious feel to it though, or at least the classic ones do. It'd be an interesting theme to play with!

Or for any Yu Yu Hakusho fans out there, think like Kurama. Kurama manipulated plants and with his frighteningly versatile ability and brains, he is definitely not someone I want as my enemy. (Plus with the HxH world you can take advantage of the mythical beasts and weird plants and stuff!)

I think Manipulation can be a bit difficult because you have to have an actual thing (or person) to manipulate

I think Manipulation can be a bit difficult because you have to have an actual thing (or person) to manipulate. You can't just grab a sword of energy or blast someone away with power. But just think about the things you like and try to work off from there.

Emission and Transmuters are a bit easier to work with, in my opinion anyways, because Emission can just blast someone away which I personally think is cool. I mean, Yusuke's Rei Gun in Nen would probably be an Emitter technique and Yusuke's Rei Gun was so cool! Also, Nen Beasts such as Goreinu's and Razor's ability are Emitter techniques and are often mistaken as conjuration. The difference is that Emission is only visible to Nen users and Conjurers can be seen by all unless hidden under the cover of In. You like that nine tailed fox myth? Why not make it a Nen beast?

Transmuters can mimic the properties of other substances so you have a couple interesting choices here. Maybe mimicking the properties of a mirror or acid, poison abilities are always interesting. Ice transmutation would be extremely useful as well. You can slow your opponents movements and numb them in areas which may allow you to set up traps. Also good for healing or numbing yourself to endure a battle!