Vows and Risks

So this chapter's topic is Vows, Limitations, and Risks that can power up your technique!

Think like those items you use in pokémon, y'know like the Silk Scarf powers up the normal type moves and it makes you think your pokémon are stronger than they actually are so you try to use some dark type move to finish off the fight and preserve some PP but you forgot that your Eevee is holding a Silk Scarf so you're really confused as the other pokémon finishes you off and you rage?

... I'm sorry, I'll get back on topic.

First we're going to discuss Kurapika and Conjurers in general. Kurapika's vow is to never use Chain Jail, the chain on his third finger that forces his opponent into a state of Zetsu, or he should forfeit his life. This adds some incredible power into his chains.

Another thing Kurapika has done to restrict his abilities but add on the power is that he cannot use the Judgement Chain, the chain on his pinkie that forces the one receiving the attack to abide to a rule that he places on him, unless his eyes are Scarlet but I'm more or less sure he can use Judgement Chain on people other than the Spiders...

Other restrictions or rules from other Conjurers would be Shizuku's vacuum cleaner can't suck in things that are alive, Kite doesn't really know what weapon he's going to get and he has to kill something before his scythe (if he ends up getting it) disappears, and such.

Next up, Manipulators! A Manipulator's power increases the higher the risk factor, for example having to stick a pin into someone or some kind of object. So the more danger you put yourself in the more power you get, basically. You know Shalnark and Illumi's abilities (I presume), things like that.

Generally, Conjurers and Manipulators have very specific and condition-based abilities which kinda bugs me since I'm a Manipulator and I have to work around certain factors but it can be pretty useful if you figure it out!

And of course, there are Specialists. Specialists generally have a restriction of some kind, like Chrollo having to go through five or six steps to steal an ability or Neon not being able to tell her own fortune.

Also on a similar note, it's pretty interesting and a good idea to have some kinda drawback in a technique if you're creating this for an OC even if they don't have a Vow or Contract or something like that. Gon's destructive game of Janken takes some time to charge and even Killua has a battery for his electric Transmutation.

In conclusion, I think all the conditions can really spice up an ability, so I do recommend having one (or some)!

Also, this is very off topic but since I don't really have a question for this chapter about vows and this is kinda short, I do have a question on something else.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

 Well, what's going on in this picture? It's the Phantom Troupe leader, Chrollo, the head of a group of thieves talking on the phone

... Well, what's going on in this picture? It's the Phantom Troupe leader, Chrollo, the head of a group of thieves talking on the phone.

Talking on the phone.

Does Chrollo like... pay his phone bills?

I mean, this was brought to my attention while I was listening to the HUNTER x HUNTER radio and Killua and Gon's 1999 voice actresses were talking about it (they're really funny) but seriously does he just like steal a new phone when he needs one? I imagine that he doesn't because all the Spiders would have to change phone numbers all the time but I don't know...

The leader of a pack of notorious, infamous, A-Class thieves that leaves blood in there trails and massacred an entire clan paying for his phone bills?

Weird...