Part 10

Murphy

I clenched my fist, all my anger building up. The door handles rattling, but I ignored Riley's pleas to let me in. I'm an asshole. That's what I am. An unwanted asshole, that everyone hates. I stared at my reflection, water filling my eyes. I will not cry. I raised my fist and smashed it into the glass, shattering it. My fist stung as some shards pierced it and blood ran down. I was still pissed. I turned and kicked the walk over and over again, grunting from the pain and anguish, holding back tears. Blood smeared the wall. I heard a toilet flush and pulled myself together, I'd forgotten about the other door. "Who's there?" I called, my voice hoarse.

I heard the cubicle door open and footsteps approach. I stared, waiting for the figure to come and look at me. My blood dripped onto the grubby grey tiled floors and I looked at it smeared on the grubby-used-to-be-white wall tiles. I glanced back at the broken mirror shards in the sink, some with my blood on them. I stared at the end of the corridor, waiting for them to come through the gap in the wall that lead to the toilets. It felt like forever, waiting for them, but it was probably a minute at the latest.

He stood there, looking at me, looking at the blood and the mirror, looking at my face and the tears I was struggling to hold back. His shaggy hair and blue eyes looking sympathetic. "You alright?" Daryl asked me.
I looked down at the pool of blood on the floor underneath my bleeding hand, I swallowed and croaked, "I'm fine." The doors had stopped rattling, Riley was probably running to the other door.

I looked behind me and croaked, "Sorry about the mirror."
He held up his hand and shook his head, "Don't worry bout it, we have another." He took a step closer to me, "You gon tell me what's up?"
I grabbed my bleeding first with my hand and stroked the unbroken skin, staring at the blood and shards in my knuckles, "I'm fine," I mumbled.
I heard him take another step towards me, "You want me to get one of yer friends?"
I looked up at him and bitterly said, "They're not my friends. They don't even want me here. Some of them wish I was a zom - walker too."

Daryl nodded and I heard him sigh, he took another step towards me and chewed on the skin around his thumb as he thought before saying, "I think Imara should take a look at that. It looks painful."
I shrugged, "It's nothing."
Daryl took another step, his shadow covered my fist, "It don't look like nothin."
I sighed and put my fists by my side, looking at him in his eyes, "Why do you care? You probably want to get rid of me anyway, as soon as the herd passes, I'll be off."

Daryl examined my face before saying, "Your friend, Raven, still has a bad leg, I think they wanna stay here a little while longer after the horde."
I shrugged, "So? Doesn't mean I have to stay." I then looked at the flor and muttered, "nobody wants me here anyway."
Daryl was silent, the only sound was my blood dripping on the floor.

Daryl stepped passed me and I watched him picking up the glass shards, he begun talking, "Nobody's gon force you to stay here, y'all can leave when you want. But ain't nobody forcin you to go either, you're welcome here, John."
I stared at him, "How do you know my name?"
Daryl stood up straight, holding glass shards in his hands, "Raven told me. She also told me about you being hanged and about Finn-"
"None of that was my fault!" I snapped, stepping towards him, fury pulsing through me, Raven has no right to tell these people about me. And now these people will think I'm a monster before even knowing me.

Daryl stared at me and then turned back to getting more glass, "I ain't mad at you, Murphy. I don't blame yer for killin those people, I get why you were pissed. They hung you and beat you for somethin you didn't do. I get it. And Finn," Daryl stood up and leant his back against the sink, fiddling with shards in his hands, "Finn wasn't your fault neither. You tried to help him, Raven knows that deep down." He then walked passed me and popped into the toilet room, I heard him dropping the glass shards into something, he came back with a bin bag in his hands, he grabbed the chair and moved it. He looked at me, "C'mon, Imara will sort that out." His hand rested on the door and he opened it, he gestured for me to walk through. And I did.

* * *

I sat on a worn out sofa in the office room of the Warehouse. I looked out the windows at the floor below me, I could see Nick shivering in his room, Clarke and Alicia in a room opposite, talking about some shit. I looked back to Imara she was sat on a wooden chair on the right side of me, my fist on her lap, on her left was a wooden table, which had a metal bowl on it that contained the glass shards from my fist, and then she had another metal bowl with a needle and thread as well as a roll of bandages and some antiseptic cream.

The office was mainly used as a medical room, in the cupboards contained all the pills and medicines and it required a key to enter, they locked it because of Nick. As well as me being in the room, Daryl stood and leaned against a chest of draws facing me, Rick leant against the door to the office, Judith in his arms.

Imara lifted my hand up, all the glass out, "I don't think you need stitches," she told me, no sympathy or kindness in her tone, she then picked up a tube of cream and squeezed some on her finger, "this may hurt," she uncaringly said. I winced as the cream stung my cut-up knuckles, the blood had stopped now. She grabbed the bandages and begun wrapping them around my knuckles and wrist, using a safety pin to hold them in place. "All done," she muttered once she fastened the safety pin.

I nodded and mumbled, "Thanks." Imara then begun to pick up her stuff and tidy it away.
Rick took a step forward and put his hand on Imara's shoulder, "I'll take care of that, I think I'd like to have a word with him."
Imara sighed, "Fine," as she held out her arms for Judith.
Rick handed her Judith. "I love you, daddy," Judith giggled.
Rick smiled and kissed her on the forehead, "I love you too, sweetie, Imara is going to take you downstairs to see Michonne."
Imara exited with Judith.

Rick came and sat on the sofa opposite me, he leant close, he had his legs parted and his hands together, his arms resting on his thighs, I was sat with my arms on the back of the sofa and my left leg ontop of my right one, my left ankle resting on my right thigh. Daryl stood behind the back of the sofa, his hands resting on it.

The room was silent, "Cute kid," I broke the silence, I looked at Rick, "She yours?"
Rick nodded, and then he firmly said, "We need to talk about what happened."
I shrugged, "Nothing to talk about."
Rick shook his head, "So you broke my mirror for nothing?" His tone wasn't angry but still commanding.
I shrugged and looked at the floor, moving my arms to my lap, "I'm sorry about that."

Rick stroked his chin, and shook his head, "I don't care about the mirror. I just want to know why."
I remained silent, staring at the floor, picking at the palm of my bandage, playing with the fluff.
Rick leaned back on the sofa, "Last thang we know was you were talking to Riley bout some stuff and thangs, and got pretty pissed off. She says you were talking about the people you were with and being bad people."
I remained silent. I wasn't going to open up to a cop, he knew nothing about me.
Rick got up and sat next to me, his body facing mine, his hands on his lap, he softly said, "We want to help you. We're not mad over the mirror. We don't care about that. What we do care about is why."
I looked up at Rick, "Can I go?"
He exchanged a look with Daryl before looking at me and nodded, "If that's what you want. But remember we're here if you want to talk. And I'll relieve you off of farming duties, you can feed the animals-"
"No," I shook my head, "I can still dig." I then got up and opened the door of the office, slamming it behind me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Notes: I won't be publishing next week because I'll be on holiday, so next upload will be Sunday the 26th

Also Carl is in the next chapter with Daryl