Chapter 32 - The Awakening

Start from the beginning

The inside of my head was a tornado and it had almost nothing to do with Natsu and his situation. No, the cause of my problems, was a certain blue-nette whom I swore I'd never fall in love with. Since the day she started stalking me, I decided I hated her. And now, well, I don't know what's wrong with me.

Something about the way she fought so hard for one cause then looked so fragile in my arms. Then earlier this morning when she got up and just wanted to leave because she was intruding. Everything about her, was different than what I'd originally thought.

I reached the room and quietly opened the door, finding a broken and bandaged blonde. Though she didn't stir, she just lie there. With a sigh, I found a chair and sat by her bedside, trying to focus on what I'd tell her.

But the blue-haired beauty kept popping up in my head.

What the hell is wrong with you, Gray?

A stirring caused me to look over. Lucy tried to move her arm but it was hooked down by tubes and wires. Instead, she shook her head, moving her right arm, that was captured in a cast, to awkwardly scratch her head. Her eyes scrunched up feeling the rough cast covering on her skin, then she blinked wildly, returning her arm to it's original place. Brown eyes popped open, frantically searching the white room before they landed on me.

"Gray?" her voice was hoarse and quiet.

I nodded, and she continued to look around the room, "Where am I?"

"Magnolia Hospital. Room 234."

She blinked some more, "Where's Natsu? What happened?"

"Depends, how much do you remember?"

"I remember... I remember throwing Natsu, the roof collapsing, my leg hurting, and that's it. Where's Natsu? Is he okay?" her eyes were wide and she even tried to sit up, only to find she had no limbs that could support her.

I chuckled, "He's fine. Resting now. You got to him just in time. After that, the whole place went down, just about. Juvia, a friend of mine and I became the roof while the others searched for... some number of days for you. You were buried for at least four days. I lost track after that. After that we were just searching for a corpse to bury pretty much. But, we found you, barely alive. You were in the operating room for almost half a day, and that went faster than they thought it would."

"But Natsu is fine?" she asked again.

"Yeah, he's fine. A little beat up, but nothing besides that," I could physically see how much they were attached now. She was anxious just being a couple rooms away from him. I guess she can't feel him quite yet.

"Is everybody else okay?" she asked, surprising me.

"Hm? Oh, yeah everybody else is okay. We brought in people from several ally schools to take the bastards down and succeeded. Really, you did the most damage though. How the hell did you manage that... spell?"

"I have no idea," she said, remembering the feature she pulled off, "I was asleep and then... I woke up and did it. I... I could hear my mother's voice..."

Silence took over the room. She just kept looking around the room, obviously sick with worry. I began to slowly dose off in my own land, still seriously lacking sleep. I was planning on sleeping through today but that didn't happen at all. Between Juvia and the call I got from Levy, sleep wasn't an option. I probably got six hours, and that's being kind. Something told me that our little group was going to be out of school on sick leave for a while.

"Gray?" she asked, quietly, waking me up.

I grunted.

"Did Natsu mention anything... about me... while I was out?" she met my gaze.

Her eyes were deep and hurting. "Yeah, he did. In fact," I stopped myself, knowing I had almost slipped up, "he remembered what you did for him and as soon as he ripped the IV out of his arm a few times, he asked about you."

She giggled. Situation defused. I gave a mental sigh of relief.

But only for a second, "Did he mention anything... else? Like what happened?"

C'mon, Gray, hold it together. "He won't talk about it. We tried to get him to talk about it, but you know how he is. He keeps everything bottled up until it explodes."

She nodded, focusing her eyes back onto her hands and the different monitors and devices attached to her. The sound of her machines beeping took over the room and my eyes briefly closed yet again.

"I missed him... I don't remember much after the roof caved in, but every once in a while, I would wake up, and while the pain was crushing every part of me, I kept trying to live. For him. He was the only thought in my mind," she was staring straight ahead, "I don't know what's wrong with me. Everything is... It's all so crazy and stressful and... Through it all, through all this crazy, he's been there. When I came back, I thought I'd never talk to him again but, now... Well, I think something is wrong with me."

I laughed, trying to lighten the mood. "I think you need more rest. Pyro head? C'mon, have you met the guy?"

She laughed with me, "Maybe your right."

The world went silent again, but just barely, I could hear her whisper, "I hope you're wrong."

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Look, I know what you're thinking. I've literally had these chapters written for years. YEARS. But hey, if you're still here... Sorry? 

Thanks for reading!

*I don't own Fairy Tail

~MelodyElaine