~ I Never Stopped Loving You ~

Description: Human!Cas needs the reader's help with wounds and after staying the night with you, he mistakingly confesses his feeling towards you.

Word Count: 1157

Warnings: None !

Song: Sweet Annie By: Zac Brown Band

~ Sweet Annie, can I stay with you a while, 'cause this road's been putting miles on my heart. Sweetheart, I've been livin' in a fantasy. But one day lightning will strike, and my bark will lose its bite, but don't give up on me, Sweet Annie ~

Hearing the knock at my door strikes a pang of uncertainty in my stomach and I slowly stand, pulling out my angel knife and an exact replica of Ruby's knife, hiding it behind my back and opening the door to see a beaten up and worn out Cas. "Cas? What's going on, are you okay?" I ask, setting the knives subtly in the drawer of a stand near the entry way.

"I'm okay, I need somewhere to stay though, if that's alright," he says shyly and I open the door wide, letting him in and smiling. "Of course, Cas, you're always welcome, let's get you all fixed up."

He enters slowly and I close the door before turning around to see him unbuttoning his shirt. "Really nice place, I like the way you've decorated," he compliments and I smile. I haven't talked to the angel much since he became human but here he is thankfully.

"Thanks. Listen, Cas, I'm always here for you, no matter what I'm team Cas," I say chuckling and for the first time I witness as he lets out a chuckle, following it with a generous smile. "Thank you, (Y/N)."

Taking him into the bathroom, he doesn't break off our entwined fingers, allowing me to drag him in and instructing him to lean against the counter. I quickly grab the first aid kit containing literally just thread, a needle, rubbing alcohol, and wrap.

"I'm sorry. About everything, (Y/N). I put you through hell, I know it. I hope you can forgive me, I still love you, I always did. I shouldn't have left, you deserved so much better," he says and I look down, trying to keep my eyes focused on his wound but I briefly look up into his azure eyes. "I understand, Cas. And yeah, I forgive you. I told myself all the time that no matter what happens, I could never stop loving you," I say and he smiles, pressing his lips to the corner of mine, inhaling and pulling away slowly.

He winces every time the needle penetrates his skin and then looks down at his fidgeting fingers but I continue on and hand him a bottle of Black Velvet to get through it easier and he takes gulps every ten minutes or so.

After cleaning up the blood around the wound and tying off the thread, I cut it and smile up at him. "Any other wounds?" I ask and he shakes his head. "The rest are bruises and and shallow cuts," he says and I nod.

"I don't actually have a guest room but I have an office and I can blow up an air mattress for you if you're really hell-bent on not sharing a bed with me," I say, putting everything away in the first aid kit after wrapping his arm.

"I'm not really hell-bent on not sharing a bed with you," he says and a smile spreads across my lips but doesn't quite make it to my eyes.

His hand reaches for mine and he holds mine in his. His eyes stare into mine but I just look down at our enlaced fingers. His finger reaches under my chin and lifts my face so that I'm looking into his eyes. "I missed you," he whispers and I move my hand from his and take a step back.

"What's wrong?" He asks and I shake my head. "I just- I know you want to come back to me, I can tell but I don't want that," I say and his face takes on a look of concern before he sighs and asks, "why? What's wrong?"

"Cas, the minute you need someone, you come to me. But Dean told me about your alleged date with that girl you worked with and how you slept with a reaper. I know neither of those really worked for you in the end but that doesn't matter, you come to me when you've hit rock bottom but what the actual fuck about me? I went four months not knowing at all where you were, having to just swallow back everything because I thought you'd stopped caring about me, how the fuck am I supposed to go through that again. Living this life, I know that coming back to you would only mean getting hurt again and I'm not trying to put myself through that again," I say and his eyes are full of hurt when I look up into them. "(Y/N), I love you, I have this whole time. I was stupid. I'm not just coming back for help, I'm coming back because after getting a glimpse of the real world, I can see that you're the best I will ever have," he says and I take another step back.

"Are you telling me that you left me to see if you could get better? That's kind of what it sounds like," I say and he shakes his head.

"No, I-"

"Then why did you leave? Tell me please because I've been sitting around this whole time thinking about all of the ways I could have been better for you, I got no closure, you left and I had nothing to account for it, nothing to justify it," I say, raising my voice slightly.

"But the worst part is that I never stopped loving you, I always waited, every night, I thought, maybe he'll come back, but now, now, I just, I just gave the fuck up because it was only tearing me apart trying to figure out why you left and where you could be," I yell and he winces. "I left because I loved you too much, I thought I was putting you in danger, (Y/N), I thought that if I left you'd be safer. After the angels were expelled from heaven, I knew they'd all be coming after me so I left but now, now I just miss you and realize how terrible life has been without you. I tried moving on. That's what April was. That's what my co worker was. Attempts to move on. But as you can tell, neither worked out very well for me so here I am, an idiot begging for your forgiveness and sympathy even though I know I don't deserve it, I'm too greedy and selfish to let you go," he says and a tear slips down my cheek but I quickly wipe it away.

"I love you, Cas."

"I love you too, (Y/N), I have this whole time," he says and I take only two strides and wrap my arms around his neck in a tight embrace and his hands find my lower back. I feel his tears on my shoulder. "I know I don't deserve it, but I'm too in love with you to let this go," he whispers and my grip tightens briefly before I back up and press my lips to his.