Chapter Twenty-Four

Hey everyone! This is a really long one so enjoy(: I worked hard so please COMMENT!!!
xoxo
______________________

Delia
.
.
.
"Here's some ice. It's going to be sore for a few days." Lupin handed me ice wrapped in a cloth, looking at me with a tender smile on his lips.
"Thank you. I can't believe we're going back without them." I frowned, holding the ice to my head.
"Don't worry, Delia. They'll be just fine."
"Will I be able to communicate with you while I'm there?" Lupin and Tonks looked at each other before looking back at me. I chewed my lip anxiously.
"I'm not so sure." I sunk in my seat, defeated. Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind and I shot up from the chair.
"What if I don't use the owlery? I know a spell that makes the parchment visible to you only and finds you on its own."
"Perhaps. Don't you worry about that. Tomorrow you're going back to Hogwarts and something tells me it isn't going to be the same. Not with Snape as headmaster." I nodded and looked over at Ginny checking off books from her list. Hogwarts was going to be different without Harry, Ron and Hermione and with Draco there, I knew I'd have a hard time.

The next morning was a blur and before I could really take in what was happening, I was on the train. I sat with Ginny and Neville, playing Uno.
"Blimey, Delia. I don't understand how you keep winning." Neville put down his cards in defeat, leaning back against the seat.
"Oh come on, Neville. You're just not playing your cards right." I said, smiling and shuffling the cards. It'd been an hour and I was lucky enough to not have run into Draco. My mind was slightly more at ease and I hoped I wouldn't have any classes with him for the sake of my own sanity. Everything reminded me of him and I'd often catch myself saying "Draco used to" or "Draco says" in my head. It'd almost slipped out a few times but thankfully I caught myself in time.
"I swear, I won't let you win this time, Delia." Ginny said nudging me.
"It's just a game, you two."
"Maybe for you! You've been winning every time so far. Cheater."
"What? Is that what you think?" I laughed, looking down at my cards.
"That's exactly what I think. Right, Ginny?"
"Hush up. Let's play." We started playing when the trolley came through.
"Anything from the trolley?" The woman shouted. I got up and approached her, and opened my mouth to speak when I was interrupted.
"Christ, I've been looking for you forever. I want pumpkin pasties." A familiar voice said in a cold voice. Draco strode over likely from another compartment, money in hand. My heart pounded in my chest and I hoped he wouldn't notice me.
"Mr. Malfoy, I passed your compartment a while ago." His grey eyes met mine and softened, holding me captive. My lips parted and his eyes flickered down to them, making my cheeks flush slightly. I looked down at the money in my hands.
"Yes...I'm, uh, I'm sorry. Can I have a few pumpkin pasties please?" He said to the woman in a calm tone. He opened his mouth to say something to me when the door burst open and there stood Pansy.
"Draco, what's taking so long? Did you get my chocolate frog?" She asked in her terribly irritating voice. I clenched my teeth and glared at him, looking away again.
"No, not yet. Go back to Blaise and Goyle." She pouted and went to grab his hand, which laid limp entwined with hers. My stomach churned and I bit my lip, forcing myself to look away from their joined hands.
"Here you go. 12 galleons." Draco gave her the money and he mumbled a thank you, turning to walk away but not before Pansy noticed me. She put her hands on her hips and her face twisted into that of disgust.
"What are you looking at, mudblood?" I glared at her menacingly and turned to the woman with the cart.
"Pansy, let's go." She rolled her eyes and walked out, but he stood behind as if he wanted to say something. I turned to the woman, not wanting to give him the chance to say anything and I saw from the corner of my eyes that he looked down in defeat.
"A packet of droobles and a peppermint toad, please." I said, handing her the money.
"Here you are, dear. Enjoy." I heard the door shut and looked to see Draco's retreating figure. I sighed and went to sit down, handing Neville the packet of droobles. Just then, the train suddenly stopped and I looked at Ginny.
"What's going on?" I looked over my shoulder and stood up, along with other people in our compartment. It stayed still for a while before two figures opened the doors who I recognized to be Death Eaters.
"My father will hear about this." Some snobby kid said at the front of our compartment. I rolled my eyes as they continued down. Neville got up and I widened my eyes at him.
"Hey, losers. He isn't here." He said confidently. One of the Death Eaters scoffed, passing onto the next compartment.

Finally at Hogwarts, I noticed how grim it looked. It wasn't nearly as lively as it'd looked before and I suspected it had to do with our new headmaster.
"Delia have you got the cards? I want a rematch after supper." Ginny said, giving me a smirk. I realized I'd left them on the seat and sighed.
"Fucking hell. I left them. You and Neville go on. I'll meet you in the Great Hall but save me a seat." She nodded and I lugged my trunk up the stairs again, going back to the seats we were at to get the game. Once I had them, I realized I was the last one to get off. I hope there's still a ride left. Walking to the carriages, I saw a head of white-blonde hair. You've got to be kidding me.
"Mr. Malfoy and Miss Edwards, in you go." I placed my trunk in the pile to be taken to the castle and stepped into the carriage, crossing my arms. Fuming, I refused to look at him.
"Dee, I know you're angry with me but talk to me." He pleaded. I examined my nails, ignoring him completely. This was going to be a long ride. Draco sighed, shifting in his seat across from me.
"Dee, please."
"I'm not interested in anything you have to say. What part of 'it's over' did you not understand, Malfoy?" I spat, trying my best to depersonalize him.
"Please just hear me out. It's been killing me this whole summer, you have no idea."
"Good." I scoffed, crossing my legs and looking away. He got up and sat next to me, causing me to turn my head swiftly to glare at him. His close proximity and familiar scent made my glare fade away quickly to my dismay.
"Delia, I couldn't tell you. Not without risking your life.'
"You CHOSE not to tell me. They're two very different things. You know I wouldn't have said anything."
"You honestly think your mind is safe from him? You don't know what he's capable of."
"You know and I both know he killed Harry's parents, Draco. Don't tell me I don't know what he's capable of." An angry tear fell over the brim of my eye and I wiped it away.
"Then you know why I couldn't tell you. I'm sorry."
"Honestly, please just get away from me." I looked him straight in the eyes and realized that was a big mistake. His brilliant grey eyes pleaded with me and I knew he was being genuine but I couldn't let go of what almost happened.
"Is that really what you want?" Draco placed his hand on my cheek, leaning in closer to my face. My breath hitched in my throat and I instinctively parted my lips.
"I.." His nose grazed mine and I brushed my lips against his soft pink ones, eager to close the space between us. I pushed him away, needing to regain self-control.
"Stop it!" I said angrily, tucking a loose hair behind my ear. He took my small hand in his and I looked at him once again.
"Delia please. Can't you see that I fucking love you?"
"Draco, please. You're a Death Eater, you almost killed Dumbledore, you're still with Pansy, and you LIED to me. You don't love me."
"I love you, and I fucked up. But part of a relationship is accepting the other person for who they are."
"I can't be with you. You don't do the things you did to me to someone you supposedly love."
"I love you. Everything about you intrigues me and makes me care for you even more. I love that you take naps as often as you do. I love how your voice sounds early in the morning when you're half-awake. I love that you hate any chocolate dessert unless they're brownies and the way your nose scrunches up when you don't like something. I love your red hair, even when it looks like a bird's nest when you've gotten up too late to bother with it." I sat speechless, processing what he'd said.
"I love the freckles across your cheeks and nose, and the way you say my name even when you're angry with me. I love how much you care for others and don't let people treat you like you're less than what you are- and that is, beautifully unruly and tender, all at once." I felt a tear roll down my cheek and I hadn't noticed the small sobs that escaped me. Draco pulled me into a tight hug and stroked my hair. I broke our embrace and he wiped my tear away with his thumb.
"Come back to me, Dee." My mind contemplated whether or not I should listen to him or my own head. He'd betrayed not only me, but my friends. I'm sure they weren't expecting that from him but still. Although he was their enemy, it was too far. Unforgivable or seemingly so.
"I'll tell Pansy to fuck off. As soon as we get into the Great Hall. And I'll never lie to you again. Ever." I looked at his pained expression and crashed my lips down on his. Desperately kissing him like he was going to disappear if I didn't, my feelings for him flooded every crevice of my body. He pulled away, placing one last tender kiss on my lips, our foreheads still touching. I grabbed a fistful of his hair and met his gaze once again.
"Okay." He smiled and the carriage stopped soon thereafter.