Chapter 8

"Aaron?"

"Beth?!"

It looked like someone had cemented Hotch to the spot. You looked at the brunette as she ran towards him, jumping into his arms and holding on for dear life. "I missed you."
He, however, was still in a daze, putting his hands around her tentatively.

You felt panic grow inside you as you spluttered out, "I'm sorry, who are you?"
She looked at you, giving you a smile through the tears that were now running down her cheeks.
"I'm Beth Clemmons. I was Aaron's girlfriend until I left for a job offer in Hong Kong,"
Turning to look at him again, she continued. "But I'm back now. I couldn't be happy without you." 
Hotch looked at her, dumbfounded as she leant in and brushed her lips against his.
His eyes fluttered closed as he pulled her to him and kissed her properly.

And you were 18 again. The ground seemed to shift underneath your feet and your knees seemed to give way, your eyes burning with tears as you quickly made way to the house, running to your room and slamming the door shut.
Throwing yourself on the bed, you sobbed your heart out. Every time you got close to him, something tore you apart.
You did not even realise how much time had passed until your phone lit up.

'EMILY CALLING' it displayed. 

"Damn it," you cursed, remembering that you would have to explain what had happened to everyone. Feeling your eyes brim with a fresh round of tears, you picked up.

"OHMYGOD, I thought you wouldn't pick up! I didn't want to disturb your 69ing but I just couldn't wait until tomorrow! How was it? Was it magical? How is he in bed! Are you guys doing it right now? Am I cockblocking the boss?"
Closing your eyes, you swallowed and waited for Emily to stop.

"...Hello?"

Finally. "I didn't say it."
Silence.
"Why?" you could detect the change of tone.
Sniffling, you related the whole thing.

"Jesus christ, I'm so sorry honey. Yeah, I remember that Beth chick. Ugh. What a hoochie."
You let out a small laugh besides yourself. Emily was just insulting her so that you felt better. 
"Thanks, Em. But she seemed nice enough. And they seem to have good chemistry. I don't even know what they're doing right now, it's been like two hours since I locked myself up."
"Well. I'm really sorry things turned out this way, Y/N. Don't beat yourself up too much, okay? You're better than her. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Yeah. Goodnight, Em."
"Goodnight."

Sighing heavily, you got up and opened the door and stepped out into complete darkness. As you walked in the general direction of the switchboard, you tripped on something.
"Fuck everything," you flicked on a light. 

Clothes were strewn about on the floor, leading to Hotch's bedroom.
The clothes Hotch and Beth had been wearing, to be specific.

Your hand flew to your mouth as you felt bile rise up in your throat and you rushed to the kitchen sink to hurl up dinner. 
When you were done, you splashed water over your face, breathing in and out to calm yourself.
"Y/N?"

Leaping in surprise, you turned around.

"Hotch."

He was in his pyjamas, hair dishevelled.
"Are you okay? I saw the light and then heard retching."
Damn him and his F.B.I. training.
Unable to stop yourself, you let out a bitter laugh. "I think I'm sick."
"What? Why didn't you tell me?" he started towards you, but you hurriedly moved out of the way and began to go to your room. 
"I'll be fine," was all you could manage to say before you shut the door loudly on a very uneasy Hotch.

*Next morning*

"Morning," you said curtly, sitting at the breakfast table, fully dressed for work.
 Hotch and Beth were already there.
"Morning. Are you feeling okay?" Aaron asked, concern clear in his voice.
Not even looking up from your cereal, you nodded. 
Beth spoke up. "I'm really sorry about our behaviour last night. It was very rude to you."

"Don't worry about it. By the way Hotch, I've kept your blazer on the dresser. Don't forget to take it." you still hadn't looked up, missing the slight flush on his cheeks at the mention of the blazer he had so sweetly draped on you.

Beth looked uncomfortable- she felt like she had gotten off on the wrong foot with you.
"So, Y/N, Aaron was telling me that  you're a friend of his?"
The spoon you were eating with clanged loudly with the bowl as you finished eating.
"Yes, I'm just a friend."
You didn't even know why you were so angry.
"See you at the office," you said, closing the door loudly again as you heard Hotch start to say something along the lines of 'Wait!'.

You knew that he was probably telling you to wait for him since the two of you always went to work together. But you couldn't care less. Not today.
Taking a cab, you went to work, wondering how much destruction this new storm in your life would cause.