Chapter 1: The Beginning

* Ten years ago*

♂+♂=♥

I opened my eyes and got up to take a warm shower. I got out of the bathroom with only a towel and took a minute to choose what I was going to wear. I sighed and walked down the stairs. I glanced out of the window to find both of my parents' cars missing like usual. I mumbled under my breath about the new restaurant taking their time away. I took my backpack, and the keys of my brand new shiny red car, a 66 Austin Healey Sprite, and left the house, locking the door behind me.

Once at school, my best friend, Thomas, walked through the horde of people in the hallway towards me. His hair was spiked at odd angles, as always, and traces of copper red dye lined the perimeter of his forehead. I've known him since elementary school, and the red hair is definitely a good look for him. It brings out the emerald green of his eyes. Hems cute, if you ask me, but sadly he has a girlfriend. Otherwise, I would totally go for him.

"Hey Jack!" Thomas said, patting my back and giving me a handshake-one armed hug.

"Hey." I replied with a smile.

We walked toward our first period English class. Only a few students were there. We sat next to a window at the back of the class. The other students came in quickly, as well as the English teacher. Then, the class began.

"So, today you're going to work on a special project. I'll choose your partner and you will have a week to prepare an oral presentation about mythical animals. This oral is really important; if you want to graduate you know what you have to do." The old grey haired teacher said while glaring at the students with a smirk as the teenagers began to groan.

"Fuck... I hope I'm not stuck with the odd kids like, Richard, Kek or Nathan..." I mumbled, sighing loudly.

".....Thomas Anderson with... Lucas Williams..."

"Fuck man, I wanted to be with you!" Thomas whined next to me and crossed his arms as a little child.

"Jack Jackson with.... Kek Dermanis..." I sighed and groaned, smacking my forehead with the palm of my hand.

"Good luck man. Kek is as strange as his name. He never speaks, and I see him getting picked on by Martial and Julien every day. A real loser."

"Thanks for reassuring me." I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Look, that's him. The guy who is alone, front row." Thomas whispered, pointing a guy at the front row.

The guy was staring at his desk as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. He had short, puffy brown hair, with black roots but I couldn't see his eyes. He didn't seem to care about the teacher or anything else, just his desk.

"So, now move next to your partner and start working!!" She said, sitting to her desk to read a book.

I sighed and slowly walked to the front row. I sat next to Kek, he was still looking at his desk, ignoring me completely. How can he ignore me? I am Jack Jackson! Everybody wants to talk to me!

"So.... do you want to work on a particular mystical animal?" I asked awkwardly, not knowing what to do. I guess Thomas was right. He didn't answer me; he didn't even move his fucking head! "Hey, I'm talking to you!" I snapped.

The fear in his eyes met mine for a second before he reattached his attention to the desk. He was kind of cute but way too strange for me. "So... Do you want to work on a mystical animal in particular?" He shook his head, which I guess meant "no". I sighed. "Okay... We will work on Unicorns, alright?"

He nodded slightly, playing with his fingers nervously. Well, this will be fun... Lucky me. The hour passed slowly. He only nodded time to time, making me look like an idiot speaking alone. When the bell rang, I ran toward Thomas, leaving Kek where he was.