Chapter Two

We had played every game that Alec owned, but we always returned to the first game we had ever played together, Legions of Fantasy. Eventually, the stern librarian kicked us out and refused to let us back unless we didn't have anything with us that could possibly be used to play video games or to hold something that could be used to play video games. They even put an administrator password on all of the computers.

     So we resorted to playing at Alec's house, which I was totally not prepared for. Remember the whole tirade about the slums where I live? Think exactly the opposite of that and you have Alec's "humble" abode. His home was a huge, hulking manor with a large courtyard in the center and an equally large garden in the front. There was an exquisite fountain that was the centerpiece. That is, until you made your way down the cobble stone pathway to the Victorian-era mansion. Basically, he was the stereotypical Richie Rich.

      His game room was what really impressed me. That's right, he had a room devoted specifically to games. He led me in and at first I thought we had entered the library. But then I realized that the "books" that lined the wall-to-wall shelves were actually the boxes of several hundred games. On the single free wall, there hung the single largest television I had ever seen with two high tech gaming chairs set up in front . I felt like I had just discovered Shangri-La.

    "Alec, why did you ever come to the library when you had this?"

     He smirked at me. "Well, the first time, I had to drop off a book for my sister. The other times were because you were there. After all, gaming just isn't gaming without you and your snarktastic comments."

     "Wow. That uncharacteristically sweet of you. Do you have a fever?" I said, putting my hand to his head.

      "Yeah, I figured you'd enjoy that," he replied, brushing my hand away and pulling me into a tight hug.

        Now, let's get one thing straight: Alec and I are not together, but we are very close. Platonic love, I guess you could say.

        Either way, he released me after a little while and switched on two computers that I had missed in my initial evaluation of the room. He took a seat, then gestured for me to join him. He popped in what looked like the Legions of Fantasy disk, but once the computer started to read it, started up much differently. The normal logo was replaced with the name of the game in classic orange lettering and instead of the screen-shot of our characters together, the background was solid black.

       "Default start-up screen?"

           "Nope," He looked at me with a child-like grin, "sequel."

       I gasp, "But it isn't supposed to be out until August!"

          "I found a new game store just off Main Street: Plugged In. They had like, six copies of Legions of Fantasy Real-to and I snatched the first two," he said, clearly reveling in his small triumph.

         "Wow. Next time I get my paycheck, I'm going to go get a copy."

        "No need."

            I looked at him inquisitively.

       He turned and winked at me. "I said I snatched the first two copies, didn't I?"

          "Really?" He nodded and I threw my arms around him. "Have I ever told you how awesome you are?"

      He laughed and (of course), keeping his right hand on the mouse, reached over to grab my shoulder and semi-hug me. "I could always hear it again."

        I sat down beside him and started recreating my character, but just as I started the game, my phone rang.

        "Hello," I said, not even bothering to mask the irritation in my voice.

            "Hello. May I speak with Coriander Cantrella?" said a man's grim voice on the other end.

        "Speaking."

            "I'm afraid I have some bad news about your father."

        "Oh, no. Is he alright?" I replied, starting to get nervous. Alec paused his game and turned his chair to face me.

            "He's...stable."

              "What happened?" I asked, my voice cracking and raising in pitch without my permission.

           "Your father was heavily intoxicated and he walked into oncoming traffic about a mile away from your apartment complex. He was hit by two cars, neither of which were still at the scene. Would you like to come by and see him?"

              "Yes, please. Where is he?"

         "Milan-Bates Memorial Hospital. Visiting hours are nine to eleven A.M. and two to four P.M."

             "Thank you, sir."

         "Take care, dear."

            As soon as I hung up the phone, Alec bombarded me with questions: Who's "he"? What's wrong? Where are you going? I answered his torrent of questions as best I could, but he still abandoned his game and tried to hop into the car with me, something that Alec would never do if he wasn't worried about me.

           "Alec, this is kinda something I have to do on my own."

              "But-" he protests.

         "Please?" I said, with the most pitiful expression I could muster.

               He sighs. "Well...alright. But if you need me, all you have to do is call, okay?"

          "Alright."

              "I guess I'll see you later then, Cori."  With that, he opened the door and stepped out onto the pavement.       

As I left the driveway, Alec didn't go back inside. He just stood there, watching me leave and waving goodbye as his form grew smaller in smaller in my rear-view mirror. This would serve as a red herring in the police investigation that occurred in the next few weeks, but I knew him too well. He wouldn't have just left me and if he did, his final goodbye wouldn't have been that simple. Right?