Chapter Two - Ravens, Badgers, Snakes, and Lions. RAWR!

Anyone you recognise belongs to JK. Rowling, Warner Bros., and Bloomsbury

The door swung open to reveal a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes. She had a very stern face and the sisters knew not to cross her.

“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” said Hagrid.

“Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.”

She led the group through the entrance hall. Professor McGonagall showed the children to a small chamber just off the Great Hall.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” said Professor McGonagall. “The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. These houses are like your family within Hogwarts. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you house points, rule-breaking will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the House Cup. The sorting ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I shall return for you when we are ready. Please wait quietly.”

“How exactly are we sorted into houses?” Harry asked Ron.

“Some sort of test, I think. Fred says it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.”

“Of course Gred was joking,” snapped Rory.

Just then McGonagall came back.

“We are ready for you now. Form a line and follow me.”

The group entered the Great Hall and walked along the middle. There were five tables, one along the front, for the staff, and one for each of the houses. When they reached the front, Professor McGonagall placed a small brown stool on the floor. On top of the stool, she placed a pointed wizard’s hat. The sisters zoned out as the hat sung its song.

“So we’ve just got to try on the hat! I’ll kill Fred; he was going on about wrestling a troll.” Ron whispered to Harry.

Katherine hit Ron over the back of the head, and Rory whispered

“No Ron. You wrestle a troll in the girl’s bathroom.”

 Just when Ron was about to say something, McGonagall said

“When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted. Hannah Abbot!”

A girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, and put on the hat.

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat shouted.

She went and sat at the Hufflepuff table.

“Susan Bones.”

“HUFFLEPUFF!” shouted the hat again.

“Terry Boot.”

“RAVENCLAW”

A girl called Mandy Brocklehurst went to Ravenclaw as well, but Lavender Brown was the first Gryffindor. Millicent Bulstrode became a Slytherin.

“Justin Finch-Fletchley.”

“HUFFLEPUFF!”

Seamus Finnigan sat on the stool for almost a whole minute before the hat shouted “GRYFFINDOR!”

“Hermione Granger.”

“GRYFFINDOR!” Ron groaned, and Katherine hit him again.

Neville Longbottom became a Gryffindor. Malfoy swaggered forward when his name was called. The hat barely touched his head before shouting

“SLYTHERIN!”

“Harry Potter.”

The whispering began at once. Rory, who doesn’t like stress, turned and yelled at the rest of the school, “SHUT UP!” Katherine and Sheila face palmed.

“GRYFFINDOR!” the sorting hat shouted and the Gryffindor table erupted with cheers. The girls could hear Fred and George yelling

“We got Potter! We got Potter!”

It was finally the girls turn to be sorted.

“Aurora Smith.”

Groaning at the use of her full name, Rory walked over and put the hat on her head. “GRYFFINDOR!”

“YES!” exclaimed Rory as she ran over to the Gryffindor table.

“Katherine Smith.”

Katherine walked up to the stool and sat down. She hated being the centre of attention. She could feel everyone’s eyes on her. Before the pressure got too bad the hat shouted,

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Katherine sighed in relief at being sorted into the same house as Rory. Sheila was next and she swaggered, much better than Malfoy, up to the stool and before the hat even touched her head it shouted

“GRYFFINDOR!”

“LIKE A BOSS!” she yelled.

She received some strange looks from the crowd, but she didn’t care, she was a Gryffindor. It was now Ron’s turn. The hat shouted

“GRYFFINDOR!” and Katherine groaned.

Rory turned to her sister.

“You already knew that he would be in Gryffindor, so stop your complaining.”

Dumbledore stood up and said a few words, and then there was food galore. The girls marvelled at the brilliance of the school that they now attended. Harry said something about Professor Quirrell. Rory looked up, and sure enough there was the devious Professor Quirrell talking to the one and only Severus Snape. She paled.

“What’s the matter Rory?” asked Harry.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” she replied, and went on eating. After desert, Dumbledore stood up once again and sent the students off to bed.

The Gryffindor first years followed Percy Weasley. The sisters like Percy, despite what happens later on. They reached the doorway to the Gryffindor common room; Percy gave the password to the Fat Lady and explained where the dorms were. Rory, Sheila and Katherine made their way up to the first year girl’s dorm that they would be sharing with Hermione, Lavender and Parvarti. They sat down on Rory’s bed. Rory looked at them,

“We cannot tell anyone what is going to happen. They will think we are mad and will throw us in St Mungos.”

“That’s fine” said Sheila.

“What’s St Mungos?” asked Katherine.

“I’ll explain later Katherine,” Sheila quickly said, before Rory had a chance to start one of her many Harry Potter Universe rants.

“Lets all go to bed, so that we are ready for classes tomorrow,” she continued.

“Fine. Night you two,” said Rory.

“Night” replied Sheila and Katherine.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.