s e v e n | h o p p í p o l l a

Start from the beginning

Saying she looked shocked was an understatement. She looked shocked beyond belief.

"Y-you played the famous Sibelius solo?" She sputtered.

"Fifteen pages, hella hours practicing and it all worked out," I replied, shaking my head happily, "We actually pulled it off in twenty five minutes instead of a whole thirty seven minutes because my old conductor taught us the piece faster."

"That's amazing! So, you've played music from Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and all those?"

"Yes, I have and I'm actually practicing Allegro Molto at home. Just because."

"That's lovely, Adrianna. Why don't you take a seat right here, next to first seat in the first violins and as we play, I'll give you some playing exams and we'll see where you place yourself. Because in this class, where you are is all on you. How you play and perform. You decide where you go," she told me, smiling. I turned to take a seat and realized the whole orchestra was silent and watching me, some guys were smirking and everyone just looked kind of surprised. Ms. Rose turned her attention to everyone and began her little lecture.

"Morning guys! This is your last and final year and we will make it the very best. Remember the policy, when we have class or lessons, bring your instrument in here that morning so you don't have to carry it around, save for the cello and basses. I expect all instruments to go home everyday and for you all to be practicing the music. Lesson schedules will come out next week or so. And remember, any damage you do to a school instrument, it's on you. But most of you have your own instruments, so I'm not worried.

"We also will do the field trip to New York this year, for anyone interested in doing NYSSMA. If you want to look into it, come by later and we'll discuss. Now, for the music," she clapped her hands together and rummaged a bit through the pile of papers on her stand and on the counter behind her. NYSSMA. I've always wanted to do it ever since Carter told me about it a few years ago. I looked around the orchestra and saw Pyper and Talon were both in first violins. When I turned back around, Ms. Rose was still grabbing sheets and sheets of music and then a few seconds later, she turned around smirking.

"Who's first violin," came out my mouth before I had a chance to think.

Ms. Rose narrowed her eyes, glaring at the chair, "You'll find out in time, if they decide to show the hell up.

"What do you guys think about giving Adrianna her first playing exam?" She diverted. My eyes bulged and the whole room erupted in "hell yeahs" and "yes'." Golden kill myself moment.

"Um, what?" I wasn't worried or nervous, I just hadn't expect that.

"Your first playing exam at Paradise Creek! I'll ask you to play a few scales, and then sight read a piece of music." I nod my head slightly and nonchalantly say okay.

"G Scale, two octaves." I played.
"D Scale, two octaves." I played.
"G Major Scale." I played.
"B Flat Major Scale." I played.
"A Minor Arpeggio, three octaves." I played. This was light, I had learned these in private lessons during fourth grade.

The room was silent as Ms. Rose found music for me to sight read and play. A minute later, she placed something on my stand. Moonlight Sonata. You have got to be freaking kidding me! I learned how to play this in fifth grade!

"I know this piece and I can literally play it off the top of my head," I said flatly. We went through this about seven more times before she finally placed on my stand that I hadn't yet seen. Overtures! Famous Overtures. I took one glance.

"You have thirty seconds to sight read, and once it's over, you're playing."

"I don't need the thirty seconds, I'm ready," I said blankly, looking at her.