He sighed heavily. "I don't believe Millie cheated on Jamie. She loves him more than life itself. He doesn't know what really happened between Millie and this man and yet he's convinced she cheated. I'm afraid he's jumping to conclusions."

I frowned. "Why doesn't he confront Millie and demand to know what happened?"

Peter scratched his jaw. "He thinks it would be a waste of time and that she would deny anything happened so he's keeping it bottled inside, and I'm worried it's destroying him."

I gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I wish I knew what to say or do to make this easier for you, but I'm drawing a blank right now. It all sounds like one big mess."

He groaned. "Tell me about it."

"My therapist, Dr. Gregory, believes communication is important in a relationship. Encourage Jamie to talk to Millie."

Peter nodded. "I'll see what I can do. You should take your own advice and try to talk to Ben."

I shook my head. "It never ends well when Ben and I talk."

"Promise me you'll try, Emmy."

Knowing I was going to regret this, I promised him.

Dropping my keys and purse on the entry hall table, I went in search of Ben. I found him in his office, working at his desk. Henry was curled up on the leather couch in the corner, sleeping. I joined him on the couch and rubbed his back.

Other than the sound of Ben typing it was quiet, too quiet. I wondered if he was even aware that I was in the room. Discreetly, I glanced in his direction and noticed he was frowning at the screen. I wanted to ask if something was wrong, but knew if I did he would snap at me. My promise to Peter would start off poorly if I upset Ben. It was best to just sit quietly and wait for him to make the first move.

"Are you going to say anything?" Ben asked, when I had been sitting on the couch for nearly ten minutes.

"I was waiting for you to start," I answered. "I didn't want to interrupt your work."

"I'm done." Ben swiveled his chair toward me. "Why did you come in here?"

"I thought maybe we could talk," I said.

"What about?" he inquired with a tilt of his head.

"I don't know." I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. "I guess anything that comes to mind. It's been a while since we had a conversation."

"We have conversations all the time," he stated.

"No, we-" I broke off, taking a deep breath.

"We what?" he queried with a quirk of his eyebrow. "Spit it out."

"I'd rather not," I said.

"We fight." Ben smirked. "Isn't that what you were going to say?"

I hated that smirk. Every time he smirked I wanted to slap it off his face. I took another deep breath, giving myself time to get my anger in check. I was determined to remain calm. Whether I actually followed through on that remained to be seen.

"Yes, I was going to say that," I admitted. "Do you think we can get through one conversation without anger and hurtful words?"

"Do I hurt your feelings, Emma?" he inquired.

"You know you do. You didn't always. Your words used to be as gentle as your touch." I rose to my feet, crossed the office, and paused in front of him. "We went wrong somehow-somewhere. I want us back, Ben."

"You can't always get what you want," he said. "Sometimes you're stuck with what you have."

My breath catching in my throat, I stepped back. "What are you saying? Are you saying you're stuck with me? If you feel that way then you know where the door is. I'm not keeping you here against your will."

Ben got to his feet slowly. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm not going anywhere. At least not anytime soon. And what makes you think I was referring to me being stuck with you? Maybe I meant that you're stuck with me."

"I don't see it that way." I pressed the heel of my hand to my left temple, feeling a dull throbbing pain there. Lowering my hand, I studied his face closely.

"What are you doing?" he wanted to know.

"I'm trying to find traces of the man I fell in love with and married," I replied.

"Did you find him?"

"He's gone." I caressed his cheek with the back of my hand, turned around, and made a beeline for the door. Coming to a halt in the doorway, I glanced at him over my shoulder. "If you find him would you please give him a message for me? Tell him his wife is lost without him and that she loves him more than anything in the world."

I whistled for Henry. He jumped down from the couch and ran out of the room. I followed him, shutting the door behind me.