We said our goodbyes and they hurried off.

Ben sighed. "That's time I can't get back."

"I'm sure Anita thinks that way every time she has to deal with you." Before he could respond I moved away.

Hours later, I pulled into Peter's driveway. Bringing the car to a stop, I put it in park and killed the engine. I took off my seat belt and retrieved the cake carrier from the passenger seat.

I stepped out of the car, closing the door with my hip, and headed up the walkway. Ascending the steps, I rang the doorbell. A minute later, the door opened to reveal a frazzled looking Peter.

"Emmy," he said, his eyes growing slightly wide. "What brings you by?"

I held out the plastic cake carrier. "One chocolate mint cake as requested."

His gaze softening, he ushered me inside. "Let's go to the kitchen."

I followed him to the kitchen, where I placed the carrier on the counter. Unlatching the lid, I removed it from the base. "You can return the container when you want. No rush."

Peter kissed my cheek, squeezing my arm tenderly. "Thank you, Emmy. I'll enjoy it later. Would you like me to cut you a slice? I don't mind sharing with you."

"Thank you, but I'm fine," I replied, latching the lid back on. "I will take a bottle of water if you have any."

"I do." He fetched a bottle from the fridge and passed it to me. "Sit down."

Pulling out a chair at the table, I sat down and unscrewed the cap on the bottle. I took a drink of water, watching as Peter shoved a hand through his disheveled hair. He seemed nervous. I lowered the bottle and asked him if he was alright.

"I'm fine," he responded.

"Are you really?" I asked, staring him down.

"Don't do that," he snapped. "I hate when you do that."

"Do what?" I inquired, knowing exactly what he was referring to.

"When you stare me down," Peter growled. "It's unnerving as hell."

I laughed softly. "Why do you think I do it? Sit with me."

He lowered himself onto a chair, resting his forearms on the table. "I can't talk to you about what's bothering me, Emmy. I made a promise to keep a secret, and I don't want to go back on my promise."

"I understand about keeping promises." I laid my hand on his arm. "I have an idea. Why don't you tell me the secret, but change the names and omit what you feel you can't share? That way all identities and certain information will be kept private."

"I think I can do that," Peter said, after thinking about it for several seconds. "A couple I know, we'll call them Jamie and Millie for the sake of the conversation."

"Okay."

"Jamie and Millie have been together for a while now." He sat back. "They had the kind of relationship you wished you had. Sure they had their ups and downs, all couples do, but they always worked their problems out. They reminded me of Mom and Dad in some ways."

"Lovely comparison," I said.

"Things were going well for them until Jamie got it in his head that Millie cheated on him." Peter massaged the back of his neck. "I won't go into a lot of detail, but I will say there was a hotel room and a kiss involved. Jamie did witness the kiss, which the man initiated and from what I understand it was a brief one."