1

"Tay, you should really wake up." I wake up to a series of light taps on my shoulder and by default, groan and roll to the other side of my bed. "Taylor, we have to get to court love," Karlie reminds me. I feel her sit on the edge of my bed as she sighs. "I know this is hard, but he needs you today." She grabs my hand and squeezes it. I flutter my eyes open and look at her, my expression immediately showing how devastated I was that the day was here. "I know," she whispers. Tears swell in my eyes as I stare at my ceiling thinking about the rough day I have ahead of me. "Are you sure you don't want me to come?" She asks as I sit up, running my fingers through my hair. "Yea, I'm sure. Thank you for spending the night though, it really means a lot," I smile sheepishly and she pulls me in for a hug. "It's gonna be okay."

After Karlie leaves I shower and change into a pencil skirt and blouse with tights. I put my hair in a high ponytail and put on minimal makeup. I'm not really sure what the appropriate attire for this occasion would be, but I just find whatever nicer clothes I can throw on before the hearing. I stare at myself in the mirror, noticing the puffiness in my eyes from all the crying of the past few days. All of that was leading up to today.

I walk out into kitchen, feeding Meredith and Olivia quickly before I leave. Olivia scratches up against me, meowing. "I know baby, i'll be back soon." I know they don't really care if I leave, but I like to think they do. 

I grab my keys and walk into the January air of LA. For some reason i've always loved the cold, not that it gets cold here often, but I do enjoy the months where its supposed to be cold. I hop in my car and back out of the driveway as the radio starts blaring my best friend Ed's new song. 'I'm in love with the shape of you,' I sing along nonchalantly as I drive through the city of LA, trying to keep my mind off this court hearing. It only works for so long.

When I walk into the courtroom, I immediately spot my Mom and Dad in the front seats. I keep my head down as I slowly walk over, cowardly tucking my hair behind my ears. My heels click against the shiny wood floors as I take each step, that being the only sound ringing through the room. "Hey baby, how are you doing?" My mom asks as she stands to hug me. "Im okay," I whisper. I know that if I talk any louder I'll just cry. "Hey dad," I smile slightly as he pulls me in for a hug. We sit down, not really saying much. There's nothing for us to say. We've already gone through the trial, but today was the sentencing, which is possibly the hardest part.

"All rise." We all stand as the judge walks up to the stand, taking a seat. "You may be seated." 

The double doors in the back open, and my brother walks in, his hands cuffed behind his back and his head bowed as the  two officers escort him to his seat.

"We are here to review the case of defendant Austin Swift, who was charged with assault and battery of Jerry Coleman. My understanding is that Coleman was hospitalized with several injuries, including internal bleeding of the spleen and a severe head injury, leaving Mr. Coleman in a medical coma for 4 days. Is this correct, Mr. Swift?" The judge questions. 

"Yes sir," Austin mumbles. 

"It is also my understanding that the reasoning for this attack was because of a verbal assault directed at your sister, Taylor Swift. Is this also correct?" "Yes sir." I drop my head, stressfully running my hands through my hair. 

"What was said by Jerry Coleman? Can you recall?" The judge questions. Austin nods. "He called my sister a money seeking whore. He told her that she was worthless and she's the reason the worlds so fucked up." The judge nods. "Is this all?" Austin shakes his head. "No sir, he told my sister to go kill herself," my brother answers. "My sister has suffered with depression in the past and that comment really initiated the whole thing for me, sir." "Is she still a sufferer of depression? Does she have a medical history of suicidal tendencies, Mr. Swift?" The judge questions. "No sir, I just got too heated in the moment." The judge nods. "How do you plead, Mr. Swift?" 

"Guilty, your honor." 

"By the court and the state of California, I sentence defendant Austin Swift to 6 months in a federal prison facility. Thank you." The judge slams the gavel and calls the court to end. Austin's eyes meet mine. I stare at him as he's pulled back through the doors he came through, knowing that the next time I see him will be surrounded by prison guards monitoring to our every word.

No one's surprised really. We had a feeling Austin would take the plea. He could've either pleaded not guilty and risked more time and jail, or just taking the plea deal and face 6 months. 

As I walk out of the courthouse, I check my phone. 1 new message. 

Ed Sheeran: Hey love.. know today will b hard.. let me know what i can do. See you tn?

I sigh. Ed, my best friend who I haven't seen in months. No matter how long we go without seeing each other, once we meet again it's like nothings changed. 

Me: Its ok ill be spending the night alone. Thank you

Ed Sheeran: I'll be over at 8. 

I can never win with him.

Once I get home, it's already 7. I change out of my court clothes and into leggings and a 'los angeles' sweater. I throw my hair in a bun and take off my makeup. Not that there was much left, because I cried the whole way home. My brothers in jail because of me. I can't stop thinking about it. 

I hear my door creak open. "Swift!" A familiar British voice calls. I smile and walk out into my living room, seeing Ed standing in my doorway with a guitar on his back and a cheeky grin. "Hey," I smile slightly as he pulls me in for a hug. "Ugh, I've missed you Taylor! I figured we could jam out while i'm here a little?" He asks. "Sure, maybe later." Honestly, I haven't been in the songwriting mood ever since this whole thing happened, and Ed knew that. 

"Wanna watch a movie then?" He asks. "I don't know, I kind of wanna get out of the house, maybe go let off some steam?" I ask and he grins. "The Avalons open all night tonight in Hollywood. Wanna hit it?" I smile. "Yes please. I'll text some people to come join?" I ask and he nods. "You invite some of your friends and i'm gonna invite Niall and Zac, all good?" He asks. "Yup! Perfect."

By 9, Selena, Niall and Zac have met us at my house, and we're ready to leave for the club. The avalon is infamous for some rough nights. By rough, I mean it's impossible to go there and not have a good time, which isn't always the best thing. 

Once we arrive, the bouncer immediately lets us in and I head straight for the bar. Ed sits next to me. "Round of tequila shots on me," he tells the bartender. "I can pay for myself, Ed," I groan. "I'm just being a gentlemen, is that such a problem?" He laughs and I roll my eyes. "Whatever, I'll drink to that," I say and down my first shot. 

"So the trial today..." He starts. I shake my head. "6 months," I say. He nods, throwing back another shot. "Are you okay?" I shake my head and push my hair behind my ear. "I'm fine. Austin's not." Selena comes and sits on the other side of me. "Hey babe," she smiles. "Where's Zac and Niall?" I ask. "Nialls grinding with a rando on the floor and Zac's flirting it up with some girl in the Vip lounge. I nod and throw down another shot. 

By my fifth, i'm ready to get out to the floor and dance. "Come on Ed, Selena!! I wanna dance with you guys," I smirk as I drag them out onto the dance floor. 

We all start dancing to the blaring music, me grinding up on Selena as Ed enjoys watching us. "Damn Swift, my turn?" He asks jokingly and I smile. I see Selena start dancing with another guy so I turn towards Ed. "Lets go," I say and move towards him. I put my arms around his neck as I sway my hips against him. I drop to the floor, dragging my hands down his body and then return back up to his face level. I stumble, trying to gain my balance and Ed holds onto my arms, steadying me. Our blue eyes meet as he tucks my hair behind my ear. "You okay?" He asks, confused. I smile, noticing the concern in his eyes. I'm so drunk right now that I probably won't even remember this in the morning, so what the hell? I wrap my arms around his neck and slam my mouth into his, surprising him with a sloppy kiss. He kisses me back, putting his hands on my hips as I sway back and forth against him. I savor the taste of his lips as we feverishly kiss each other, not being able to get enough. "Holy shit," I hear Zac laugh as he comes up behind us. Ed and I quickly break away from each other, both our faces blushing red. "Uh, I should go get some air," Ed stumbles as he backs out of the crowd, quickly disappearing.