13

alexander

On my way back to the dorm from showering, I ran into Aaron.

"Hey Burr. Haven't see you in a while," I said.

"Yeah. Hey, Jefferson's little political frat is having a party tonight. You and John should swing by."

"A political frat?"

"Yeah, he's got some political science majors and guys like that. It's on the other side of campus. But you guys should totally go."

"Oh, I-I don't know. I'm not exactly a 'party' person. You know that."

"Oh c'mon Alexander, live a little. It won't kill you."

"Yeah.. I-I guess. I'll go talk to John."

"It'll be fun. See you there."

I walked back to the dorm, and John was laying on the bed still, staring up at the ceiling. "Hey John, you okay?"

He sat up quickly. "Yeah I'm fine, just tired, you know." I sat next to him and he put his arms around me.

"Oh, yeah. Hey, um... So I ran into Burr in the hall. He said Jefferson's frat was having a party, and he asked if either of us would be interested in going."

"Oh, um, I-I don't know Alex. Jefferson's kinda sketchy."

"What do you mean?"

"There's a lot of rumours about him, and I don't think I'd want you over there."

"Oh."

"At least, not by yourself, and I'd love to take you to a party, but I'm not much for his crowd, so I'd rather not."

I honestly felt a little disappointed. Politics is something I love, and I really felt like I'd get along with Jefferson and his 'crowd'. But John didn't want to go, and I was not the kind of person to show up alone. "But I kinda wanted to go," I said.

"Um, Alex, have you ever talked to Jefferson?"

"I-I mean, I've seen him around and stuff but I've never talked to him."

"I just want you to be safe."

"John, I'll be alright. And besides, Burr will be there. So if something goes wrong, he'll be there."

"Alright. If you want to go, then who's going to stop you."

"John... C'mon, I didn't mean-"

"No, it's okay. I should be proud of you and encouraging you. This is a big step for you being social, you know."

"I-I guess. But I didn't mean to upset you John. If you don't want me to go, then I won't go."

"No, I want you to go. I don't mind."

"John," I said, tugging at his arm. "I-I want to go, but I want you to come with me."

He chuckled a bit and smiled. "I'm not upset Alex. And I really don't mind you going. Just stay with Aaron, okay? I trust him to keep you safe."

"Of course," I smiled.

"I think this will be really good for you." He smiled and kissed my cheek.

-

aaron

I knocked on John and Alex's door. John had told me he was worried about Alex so I promised to stay with him and keep him out of trouble. Alex answered the door and let me in. It was fairly obvious he was wearing John's clothes. He was wearing khakis, an open plaid flannel over a black t-shirt that said 'Save Ferris', black converse, and a beanie. All of it

"Is he your new dress up doll, Johnny?" I teased. This didn't look like Alex, he looked like John.

"Shut up!" John scolded. Alex blushed and took the beanie off, softly kicking the floor. "Don't listen to him. He's just being his annoying self."

"Ouch," I said sarcastically. "But he's right. I was just messing around. You look find Alexander."

Alex smiled softly. "Are you ready to go?" he asked shyly. I nodded. John spun him around and kissed him. Alex turned red and stared at the floor before walking out right past me and downstairs.

"Smooth," I said.

"You wish you were," John retorted.

"Shut up." I went downstairs where Alex was propped up on the RA desk with Charles staring at him, looking him up and down. "Alexander!" He turned and said 'bye' to Lee as he headed out the door. Lee just laughed.

"I see you're taking Hamilton to his first boy-girl party, yeah, Burr?"

"Watch your mouth Lee? You keep your hands off him!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. It isn't my fault if he wants to sleep around some? I'll see you at the party Burr."

"I better not." I turned and left, walking down the street, Alex trailing behind me with his head down.

"I-I-I wasn't flirting Aaron."

"I know."

"I just wanted to talk to him."

"I know."

"I don't have many friends, and I-I'm going to a party a-and-"

"I know, Alexander! Just be glad John wasn't taking you. If he saw that, he'd flip out."

"He's not going to tell John, right?"

I shrugged. "I-"

"He's not going to tell John, right?! Maybe John was right. I-I can't do this."

"Alexander, look at me. You're fine. Let's go, have fun. Enjoy yourself."

After walking in a tense silence for ten minutes or so, we showed up at the frat house. The place was already trashed. "I-I thought it'd be cleaner."

"Frat boys are frat boys." Music made the house vibrate and Alex looked like he was going to break. "You'll be fine Alexander. After you." He walked in and immediately looked terrified, like something was going to swallow him alive. I put my hand on his shoulder, and he awkwardly looked over at me, giving me a soft smile, before someone grabbed my hand and tugged me away from him. I was squeezing my way through sweaty bodies that smelled like beer and leather, trying to get back to Alex.

"Hey Thomas! I've got some new meat for you by the door!" someone shouted. Oh, fuck.

"Bring him over!" Thomas shouted back.

I saw someone - James - grab Alex and pull him over to where Thomas was. They shoved a solo cup in his hand and made him chug it down like he hadn't drunken anything in days. "Hey, Burr! They say you brought this guy in."

"Yeah, I did. He's a friend. A pre-law major friend. Don't fuck him up, okay?"

"Relax, a couple cups won't hurt him. Look at him, he can handle it, can't you Hamlin?" Thomas said, his voice was slowly beginning to slur.

"Hamilton."

"Whatever. Drink some more."

"Thomas, c'mon man. Don't get him drunk okay? This is his first party and -"

"Then we have to get him drunk. Madison! Make sure Hamilton's always got a cup full, alright? Burr and I are gonna have a word," he hiccuped.

"Alex, be smart!" I shouted quickly as Thomas pushed me out a side door.

[hey guess what i'm alive! sorry about my absence. but i'm back. and the updates will be a-comin' quickly, or that's the plan anyway!!! love ya]