Chapter 13

" Good morning,Mrs Swayer." Emily, my coworker greeted me as I entered the pantry to fix myself some coffee.

I stopped stirring my coffee and looked at her in shock. Emily was one of the quiet girls in the office but she had never addressed me like that before. Probably it was the incident with Greg that caused everyone to know about my relationship with Braden. 

I smiled at her and handed her a stirring spoon,"Good morning Emily... and its Alicia. Call me Alicia." Emily looked at me and nodded her head.

I dreaded the fact that everyone was going to look at me with some kind of fear that Im their boss' wife. I placed my coffee mug on my table and took my files to give to Braden. I didnt have classes today so I decided to come in early to finish up the work I had. Braden texted me that we had to go a dinner event tonight ,so I had to keep my evening free and leave work early.

I knocked on Braden's door but there was no reply. I took the liberty to just walk in. Braden was nowhere to be seen. Guess he will be coming in later. I kept the files on his table and turned to leave when a contract paper caught my attention. It was an acknowledgement of the deal between Braden's company and Preston Internationals.

Preston Internationals.

That is Jase's company. Which meant Jase was one of the partners here. Darwin did mention that Braden partnered with big firms to reap more profits and for business security. I should have expected them to collaborate with the Prestons. Jase is a ruthless business man who somehow plays it safe without damaging his relations with other companies.Which is why many big firms wish to partner with him. 

I remember those days when Jase will ramble about all his business deals during our picnic dates. Laying on the soft green grass with Jase right beside me,with different cakes and tea spread out on the picnic mats.

Those were the days...

I closed my eyes tight and willed myself to forget the past. You are Braden's wife,Alica. I  told myself.

I closed the door of Braden's office quietly as I left the office.

"Alicia,what brings you here?" I heard Braden's voice from my left. Braden was coming towards his office with someone following him closely. As Braden stopped in his tracks, the person came into my view.

Beautifully sewed three piece suit, an Adidas sport watch,a cleanly shaven face accentuated by the chiseled features and neatly combed quiff . Last but not least, a smile that I was too familiar with.

The smile disappeared from the face once our eyes met. Disappointment was all I could see in his eyes.

"Alicia,meet our biggest partner ,Jason Preston." Braden showed him to me.

"Hi,Mrs Swayer."He reached out his hand like as though we were strangers. I slowly shook my hands with him. The moment his hand and mine touched,it was like a walk down memory  lane. I let go of his hand almost instantly.

Braden was watching us with genuine happiness. 

"Hello,Mr Preston."I said my almost last name with so much of difficulty.

"Hey Jason!" Darwin came by that way and shook his hands with him.Everyone seemed to know him.

"Can I steal Braden for awhile? A client came looking for us."Darwin left with Braden,leaving us alone.

To say it was awkward,that was an understatement.

"Jase..."I looked at him. He looked at me too and smiled.

"You havent changed at all."He commented looking at me top to bottom.

"Wh-what?"

"You still hold on to the hem of your shirt when you are nervous."He chuckled. And I released my hand from the hem of my blouse.

"Arent you angry with me? I left you for someone else."The tears welled up in my eyes.

"I cant be"He said shaking his head,flashing his signature smile.

"Why not?" I questioned.

"Cause a part of me always belongs to you,Ally..Oh sorry,Mrs Braden." He spoke,his voice breaking a little when he said my married name.The hurt was obviously shown in his eyes.

"Dont..Dont do this to me."The tears were falling from my eyes.

"You are married to him,huh?"He smiled concealing his pain.

"Mrs Alicia Braden Swayer..sounds good."He said.

"I am sorry. I cant seem to be at peace even till now. Everytime I think of starting a life with Braden,the guilt of leaving you stops me."I sobbed.

"Braden is coming. Wipe your tears." Jase said turning to face Braden. 

I left that place and sought refuge at my table. 

"Alicia,you ok?" Darwin came around my cabin.

"Just a headache. Im fine." I pasted a smile on my face till Darwin left my table.

Meeting Jase wasnt event one bit like I expected. I thought he would fire me with curse words and tell Braden everything. Or even brush me off and ignore me.

His words were still echoing through my mind and my heart sank at every word he said.

I was just reminded of the big mistake I had done.

"This is so hard" I whispered to myself.

My phone vibrated cutting my misery thoughts.
It was a message from Braden and I tapped on the message icon to view it.

Darwin said you were having a headache. Take a day off - B.

I smiled at that message. It was a subconscious act. Braden was here being a perfect  husband.

I packed my bag and prepared to leave as I knew I needed a break after the disasterous meeting.
******
I didnt know I had fallen asleep in the lounge until I heard Braden calling my name incessantly.

He didnt know I was here. I got up from the couch and walked out to the living room.

"There you are. I was finding all over the house for you." Braden exclaimed.

"Sorry, I decided to relax at the lounge but fell asleep." I blushed with embarrassment.

"No worries. How was meeting Jason toady?" He asked with no idea of what that question means to me.

"It was good. He seems like a nice guy." I looked a Braden,earning a nod.

"Jason is a very nice guy. But things that happened in his life are not what you will expect in a good person's life. His girlfriend of 3 years left him for another man. I saw how wrecked he was just a few months ago. Somehow,he has managed to come back to how he was originally. But everyone can see the hurt in his eyes. Its sad."

I stiffened upon hearing what Braden said.

She didnt leave for another man,she left Jase for you,Braden.

"I didnt know you were so sensitive." Braden offered me a tissue from his pocket.

Thats when I realised I was crying. I got the tissue and wiped the tears.

Braden had no idea what kind of a terrible person I am. If he knew,he wouldnt be standing infront of me beaming.

Before Braden could talk more about Jase, I spoke.

"I guess we should get ready for our dinner event." I smiled at him,wanting him to leave this plaJase

HEYY HELLO!
How was meeting Jase?
I hope this chapter was good! There is more to come!
Please rmb to vote and comment!