Chapter Eighteen: Emma

Start from the beginning

“Uh… where do I put this?” he asked, sounding slightly uncomfortable.

“Just wait.”

Once I was dry, I poked my hand out and he handed me a pair of boxers. Gross. “Whose are these?”

“Will’s.”

“Oh. Gross.”

“Yeah, when you’re wearing those, think about all of the ball sweat that’s been holed up in there,” Will called out maliciously. “Just think about what’s been in those, Rage. Detergent can’t wipe out the memories.”

“If you don’t shut up, you won’t have anything to hole up in these anymore,” I snapped.

Eric laughed and handed me a pair of shorts. “They’re the smallest I could find. There are some strings to tighten them if they feel too loose.”

“Those are also mine, by the way,” Will said. “Two words: Ball. Sweat.”

I gritted my teeth together in disgust but said nothing. He would just be happy to hear the frustration emanating from my mouth. “Hand me the bra that’s on the counter.”

When there was no reply and no bra handed to me, I sighed. “It’s a bra, not a fungus. Grab it.”

“Just trying not to cross a line here,” Eric said, finally handing me a bra. “I feel like this is all just a trap.”

“I just want to get changed. Not everything has to have a double meaning. Hand me the shirt.”

He did and finally, I was free to exit. I opened the shower curtain and threw my head down, shaking my hair out and drying it with the other towel.

“Do you have to shake around like a wet dog?” Will asked.

“Yeah, thanks for that,” Eric grumbled. I’d forgotten he was still standing there. Oh, well. He probably needed a shower, too, to get rid of some of that cologne stench.

“Of course,” I said in reply to both of them.

I wrapped my hair in a towel and stepped out. Eric had even grabbed me some sandals. They were huge, but it was better than walking around with wet feet.

“Is there something to eat?”

“No, we’re working on it right now,” Eric said, pointing out the door. “Well, Taylor’s working on it right now, but we were helping her earlier.”

“Taylor’s probably burning your food right now. I’d go help her if I were you.”

“She’s not a good cook?”

I snorted in amusement. “Taylor doesn’t cook. She has a chef and the Chinese place by our apartment on speed dial.”

 “Well, fuck.” That was enough to get Eric to run out of the bathroom to make sure Taylor wasn’t burning the house down, which, knowing her, was likely.

I turned to Will and gave him a cheeky smile. “Gonna show me to our room, roomie?”

If he thought I wasn’t going to rub this in for the rest of my stay, he was sadly mistaken. His plan to keep me in that garage had failed miserably. I’d made the right choice refusing his first two offers. Things had worked out in the end, and this was so much better than giving in. So, so much better.

He glared at me but nodded anyway. “Yeah, I guess. Let’s go.”

I followed him out of the bathroom and up the stairs to his room. He gave me a short tour of the room, but it was nothing I hadn’t already seen, and he even said as much: “Why am I even giving you a tour? I’m sure you already explored the place while I was gone.”