8. The Kiss

Chapter 8: The Kiss

Mika

The feeling of Allen's lips against mine was a feeling I never expected to feel. I'm not going to lie, I've thought about kissing him before, but actually doing so was so much better than any kiss I've ever had before, better than my imagination.

I never wanted the kiss to end, but I ended up being the one to break it. I looked at him, probably mirroring the confusion that was all over his face. "Why?" I asked hesitantly. "What was that?"

Allen shook his head, looking down at the floor. "I don't know. That was..." He sighed. "Uncalled for."

"What happened to you being straight?" The question was out of my mouth before I could hold it back. But once that question came out, the rest followed without being controlled. "What about you being so desperately in love with Sarah? Why are you so hung up on her anyway? She left you like you never mattered to her. And all you can do is mope about how much you miss her while I take care of the son she left at your doorstep."

"You're wrong." His voice was low. Serious. "You don't know what you're talking about."

I scoffed, getting angry, even though I had no idea why I was. "Oh really? I've sat in this house all day, every day, for the last two weeks. You don't think I haven't noticed things?" I walked to the other end of the kitchen, running a hand through my hair before facing him again. "You have probably a hundred pictures of her just lying around this place. You would think that you'd want to get rid of all evidence of the woman who broke your heart as soon as she left, not wishing for something you can't have for nearly a year afterwards. That's not fair-" I cut myself off, not knowing what I was saying anymore.

There were a few seconds of silence between us before he spoke. "Not fair? Not fair to who? You?"

I shook my head. "That's not what I said."

"Then what did you say?"

This whole thing was becoming a bigger issue than it needed to be. Why were we even arguing over this? Shouldn't we be more focused on why he kissed me? He still never answered that question. But I wasn't sure I cared about the answer anymore. This whole conversation was pissing me off even more.

Grabbing my phone off the table from where it was sitting, I shoved it in my pocket. "I'm just gonna go. See you tomorrow, Allen."

I almost made it to the door when he placed a hand on my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks. "Don't."

I didn't turn to look at him. "Don't what?" I was expected him to say one of two things. Either he wanted me to stay, or never come back. Honestly, I wasn't sure which one I wanted to hear more at this moment.

There was no answer, and I didn't face him for what felt like forever. But eventually the silence was too deafening for me, so I turned, slowly, finally deciding that I didn't want him to fire me after all. I wanted him to tell me to stay. To kiss me again. But I also knew that that was probably unlikely.

The look on my face told me what I needed to know before anything even came out of his mouth, so I didn't let him speak. "What do you want from me, Allen? First you kiss me, then you get mad at me, and now you're firing me? Do you realize how... how... Ugh." I couldn't even think of the word I was trying to say. I was just mad.

"What do you want me to say, Mika?"

The breath caught in my throat. He hasn't actually said my name since the day we met. I never realized it before, but now that he's said it, it's become so obvious at how little he's said it. And just the way it came out of his mouth made my heart skip a beat. But I couldn't let him see how much those two syllables affected me.