36.

Maurice went to bed early the night before the ball because she was feeling unwell, but Niva and Daria stayed up late with me. We sat on my bed with the cushions and blankets pilled up like a nest. I had ordered for melted chocolate drinks to be brought up for us. We sat and laughed the evening away. I had discovered that Niva's mother worked in the castle as a laundress. Her mother was more than ecstatic that Niva had been elevated to so high a position as serving a princess. I thought that Niva was perfect as a lady's maid. She was sweet and very mature for her young age.

"Why were you given this post at thirteen?" I wondered.

Niva smiled mysteriously and took a long sip of her melted chocolate. Daria tossed her long straight brown hair over her shoulder, which I had given her permission to unbraid, and then rested her chin on her hand to give Niva an inquiring look. Daria was a year older than me but treated Niva as though she were an equal.

Niva giggled and said, "I asked to be your maid along with many others, but when I said that perhaps you would want someone younger to even out the age difference..."

"Meaning to counter Maurice's age," I said, grinning.

"Exactly," Niva admitted. "Maurice thought that I was funny and that the princess might appreciate some humor after living on the streets for so long."

Brilliant," I said, nodding at the young girl. "Maybe you should take over as my tutor, Niva, and teach me to be more like you."

"Oh no, Lady Kade, I want to be more like you," Niva said adamantly and then blushed bright red.

I blushed too. No one but Tobin had ever said that to me. "Thank you, Niva. I'm flattered."

"Forgive me if I'm being too bold," Daria began, "But I know that I would love to learn anything you could teach me about defending myself. And I think that Niva feels the same way." Daria gave me half a second to respond and then started chattering away nervously about how I didn't have to do it and that she shouldn't have asked.

"Daria."

"It isn't my place to ask you for anything..." Daria continued.

"Daria." She stopped and looked at me, her bright blue eyes hopeful. "I would be happy to teach you and Niva how to defend yourselves. I believe that every woman and girl should know how to defend herself. If I had known earlier on in my life, I would have been much better off."

"Do you mean because of the kidnapping, Lady Kade?" Niva asked.

I had completely forgotten about the kidnapping and was thinking of my worst night on the streets. "No. I was attacked by a group of drunk boys when I was young. They left me for dead. After that I vowed never to be helpless again."

"I'm sorry, milday," said Niva.

"Thank you," I replied.

"From what I can see," Daria commented, "You aren't helpless anymore."

I ran my fingers over the silver bracelet from the priest. "I have learned that there are other ways to be helpless."

Daria rested her hand on my shoulder. I allowed myself a moment more of pity. I straightened up. "I will teach you whatever you want to know. I have time before now. Is there one thing you would like to learn before going to sleep?"

"I want to learn to throw a knife like you!" Niva burst out.

"That takes a long time to learn and perfect, but I suppose we can get started right now." I smiled and set down my empty mug. Standing, I made my way quickly across the room. My legs felt so free in the breeches I always donned when I was alone. When I got Tobin back, I would never wear dresses again.

I had a knife on the table next to my bed but the others were across the room hidden in various places. I snatched one from inside my wardrobe and one from under the chair cushion by the door. I took down a mirror that was hanging on my wall and leaned it against my bed.

"Take the knife in your dominant hand. Mine is my left." I quickly remembered the story I had told to Marek and Daivon. "Mine is actually my right but I learned to throw a knife with my left first."

Niva and Daria joined me across the room. Their dresses were wrinkled from sitting on my bed. I passed a knife to each of them; the smallest went to Niva, who took it like it was going to explode. Daria took her knife more confidently. Her brown eyes were determined.

"Wrap your fingers around the knife and set your thumb on it like this." They followed my instructions perfectly. "Put your opposite leg forward." They copied my movements. "Now don't let go of the knife. We are just practicing the motion. Hold your arm parallel to the ground in front of you. And then bend at your elbow to bring your hand up by your eyes." They mirrored my movement as I bent my elbow ninety degrees.

"Now watch as I throw the knife. Do not do it yourself. Not yet. Just learn the motion." I focused my eyes on a spot between two stones that was typically covered by the mirror that I had moved. "Now I watch the spot where I want the knife the end up. I breathe out and release."

The knife went flying across the room to stick into the mortar between two stones. Niva hurried across the room to pull the knife out.

"It's stuck in the wall pretty good, Lady Kade!" She commented, using both hands to yank it out.

"That was incredible," Daria said quietly from next to me.

"I won't have you two throw in here tonight because the only way the knife sticks is if you hit the mortar between the stones or throw at the furniture. Tomorrow we can go to the practice courts or find an empty room and bring something to throw at if you don't want the men to see you." I explained.

"We cannot go tomorrow, Lady Kade," Daria said. "The ball will occupy everyone's time tomorrow."

"The next day, then. I promise. In the mean time, you can practice the motion without anything in your hand to get more comfortable moving your arm and your body in such a way."

Daria moved to give me the dagger back.

"No, you keep it," I said. "You too, Niva."

"Milady, thank you!" Daria said. She gazed at the knife like it was the best gift anyone had ever given her.

"My pleasure." I smiled because it truly was my pleasure.

"Thank you," Niva said, wrapping her small arms around my waist.

"See you two in the morning," I said, as they left the room.

I put the mirror back whereit belonged and sank into my bed, blowing out the candles. It was heartwarmingto see other young girls take a stand. If only someone had been there to teachme all those years ago.