29.

Arabelle lead our party, taking us through all the streets of the market place. We stopped multiple times to look at different wares. Before lunch Cynthia purchased a gold necklace with polished malachite inlaid in the metal. And Arabelle found a different necklace with malachite. Apparently the semiprecious stone was popular this year. I refused to touch the stuff; I knew at least five people who had been shipped off to the Kearney Mines for crimes and had never come home.

Everywhere we stopped, the girls asked my opinion on different items. The first few times I tried to come up with answers that sounded appropriate but I didn't know what to say. Eventually I just resorted to a shrug, at least it made the girls laugh.

Before each of their purchases, Cynthia and Arabelle would look at me to see if they were being ripped off. Some of the guards would look too. I knew that the second the vendors saw the circlet on Cynthia's head that every item went up a silver crescent if not more. But that happened all the time. It was part of life for these people, so I didn't spoil their trick. Both girls could easily afford it.

Around noon, Arabelle suggested that we take luncheon at a fancy eating house along the Saban. I rolled my eyes but decided not to push it. Arabelle liked to be the leader and did not appreciate people saying no to her.

I wouldn't have spoken up at all if I had not smelled a scent that used to taunt me everyday. Every time that I got my cut from Kiro, I would come this way to Mistress Linde's stand and buy two apple pastries. The scent always wafted above the buildings and through the streets so that I could smell it from a few blocks away. Mistress Linde's apple pastries were the best I had ever had, Tobin and I always wanted them. She had her two sons guarding the stall at all times so that it was almost impossible for me to nick one.

"Arabelle," I said seconds after the scent hit my nose.

She spun around in her saddle. "Yes?"

"I think that we should stop somewhere else for lunch instead," I said, preparing for an argument.

"Why? We already decided on a place."

"I promise that this other place will be worth it," I pleaded.

Arabelle looked to Cynthia. "Tell her, Cynthia. This eating house is amazing, is it not?"

"It is very good but I have been there before," Cynthia said calmly. "And Kade grew up in the city. I believe that she would know the best places to go."

"Well, I do want to know more about Kade's life in the city," Arabelle said, surprising everyone by giving up so soon.

Cynthia clapped her hands suddenly. "I have a great idea! Arabelle, let me know if you can agree to this?" She turned to me. "We can go where you want to go, Kade, if you promise to show us other areas of the city that you used to frequent."

Arabelle gave it a moment's thought. Cynthia added, "I just really want to learn more about my sister."

Arabelle nodded and said, "I will go along with that. Kade?"

"Alright," I agreed reluctantly, already crossing off places that I didn't want to show them.

"So lead the way," Arabelle said. I tried to kick my horse to get her to move but she wouldn't budge.

"Uh, can we walk?" I asked sheepishly.

Cynthia threw back her head and laughed. It was such an innocent sound. "If you insist," She said.

We all dismounted and lead our horses through the somewhat crowded streets. If I hadn't known these streets like the back of my hand, I still could have found Mistress Linde's stall from the aroma alone.