Gwen (Chapter 27)

27

Detective Bones managed to come at my house again.
'Gwen?' she asked my mother.

'Yes, she's in here. She should be out in a minute.'

The Detective comes in and tells me that I have to accompany her to the woods. I silently nod despite the fact that I dread the woods.
My mom waves me goodbye as I walk out of the house.
We go there by car. An unnecessary item since it was a walkable distance.
My heart thumped as we step down from the car.

'Do you recognise this place?' Bones asks.

'Huh?' I say breaking out of my daze. 'Yeah, um, I do.'

'How?'

'I told you,' I snap. 'I was here for a walk.'

'At eleven at night? In the middle of the woods?' James asked.

'I happen to like the cool night wind!' I half-shouted. 'Why are you trying to frame this on me? You think I killed Amber and Emma, huh? HUH?'

'We never said that,' Bones said quietly. 'I just want you to show me where you were strolling.'

I breathed heavily, calming myself and nodded.
'Follow me,' I said stepping into the woods.

I lead them to the dingy and slightly less forested area where I was walking that night. Though that path was in the middle of the woods, the trees here were less in number but got denser at the left side. In the midst of the dense place was where it had happened. It was towards the left-side road. I usually entered from the right side, and that night was no different. There was a road at the right side as well. I told the Detective that that was where I had entered from.
What I didn't mention was that I had abandoned my usual route and gone to the dense side when I heard the scream.
Bones nodded and asked me where I exited.

'I can take you,' I said. 'But it's gonna be quite a long walk.'
'I don't mind,' she said. 'James?'
'Me neither,' he shrugged.
'Let's go then,' she commanded.

I took them closer to the town. Finally, the tree-cover began to get thinner.

'We're almost back in town,' I said.

'So you walk all this way and come back?' James asked.

'Yes, I do. I walk to the woods on the road, but walk back from inside the woods.'

The Detective nodded, indicating that James needed to shut up.

I felt relieved since I really wasn't in the mood for any more questions.
We reached town and the Detective made a call. She asked someone to pick up the car from the road beside the woods.

While she made the call, I sat with James in a café. I was already annoyed with his ungentlemanly mannerisms but he decided to irritate me further.

'So,' he began, 'Gwen.'

'That's my name,' I said sarcastically.

'No, it's not,' he said.

The moment he said that, my heart skipped a beat. I looked up from my strawberry milkshake.

'Relax,' he chuckled. 'It's all a part of the investigation. We need to know every about you.'

'Oh, so you're going to dig up my "haunted" and "dangerous" past so you can put the blame on me? That what you're going to do? Is that what you're trying to say?' I said with spite.

'Oh my gosh, no,' James said, his blue eyes boring into mine.

I looked away. Why did he have to look so much like him? Even his voice sounded like him.

No, I couldn't afford thinking this way. I had to stay strong. James was probably flirting with me on purpose, because of Bones instructions.

'So,' Bones came back. 'I have told the officials to pick up the car. James, why don't you walk Gwen home? I'll just take a walk in the woods.'

She winked at me and walked off.

'I'll be fine, really,' I shrugged. 'You don't need to walk me home.'

'Don't need to, or don't want me to?' James smirked.

'Both,' I said and got up from the table. 'See you around.'

'Hope so,' James said as I walked out of the café.